Hooking up Arduino to the EM-406A

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Items: DEV-09950
GPS: www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/EM-406A_User_Manual.PDF

Hi Guys, I'm a bit confused on if I need a UART chip between these two object's. They both seem to have a RX and TX point but I'm not sure on if parts I need to get these two to talk?

Can anyone point me in the right direction :)
Thanks!
-Agent

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Yes, So are you saying the it just requires a Digital Line and not a UART?
NVM I just spotted the Serial.IsAvil
What is a good IC to use for serial for the two?
I have a Max3232 chip but it seems to be a bit bulky, any other suggestions?

Last edited:

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
It uses the serial library according to what I read. So it is a serial communications through the arduino digital pins 2 and 3 which are also the serial comm pins RX & TX respectively. I think that I read somewhere in the datasheet/users manual that it is a RS232 communications, or something like that.

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Whats the problem?.. Its CLEARLY stated where to attach each wire and a sample pde is provided.
So are you saying no RS232 module is required in between and that wiring the RX and TX to the TX and RX accordingly will work?
I don't want to blow anything up.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
http://marioboehmer.blogspot.com/2011/01/gpsarduino.html

Communication

The Arduino Uno has a number of facilities for communicating with a computer, another Arduino, or other microcontrollers. The ATmega328 provides UART TTL (5V) serial communication, which is available on digital pins 0 (RX) and 1 (TX). An ATmega16U2 on the board channels this serial communication over USB and appears as a virtual com port to software on the computer. The '16U2 firmware uses the standard USB COM drivers, and no external driver is needed. However, on Windows, a .inf file is required. The Arduino software includes a serial monitor which allows simple textual data to be sent to and from the Arduino board. The RX and TX LEDs on the board will flash when data is being transmitted via the USB-to-serial chip and USB connection to the computer (but not for serial communication on pins 0 and 1).
A SoftwareSerial library allows for serial communication on any of the Uno's digital pins.
The ATmega328 also supports I2C (TWI) and SPI communication. The Arduino software includes a Wire library to simplify use of the I2C bus; see the documentation for details. For SPI communication, use the SPI library.

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
http://marioboehmer.blogspot.com/2011/01/gpsarduino.html

Communication

The Arduino Uno has a number of facilities for communicating with a computer, another Arduino, or other microcontrollers. The ATmega328 provides UART TTL (5V) serial communication, which is available on digital pins 0 (RX) and 1 (TX). An ATmega16U2 on the board channels this serial communication over USB and appears as a virtual com port to software on the computer. The '16U2 firmware uses the standard USB COM drivers, and no external driver is needed. However, on Windows, a .inf file is required. The Arduino software includes a serial monitor which allows simple textual data to be sent to and from the Arduino board. The RX and TX LEDs on the board will flash when data is being transmitted via the USB-to-serial chip and USB connection to the computer (but not for serial communication on pins 0 and 1).
A SoftwareSerial library allows for serial communication on any of the Uno's digital pins.
The ATmega328 also supports I2C (TWI) and SPI communication. The Arduino software includes a Wire library to simplify use of the I2C bus; see the documentation for details. For SPI communication, use the SPI library.

AWESOME!!!
Thanks!!!

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Looking over the userguide for the GPS it looks like it takes up to 6.5 volts... Why did he use OHM resistors when the Arduino Uno only puts out 5?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I have no idea why that person put those resistors in there, as mcgyvr stated "none are needed". The arduino will only supply 5V to the module. The module is rated to run on 70mA @ 4.5 - 6.5VDC. You are safe connecting it directly to the arduino power supply.

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
At least you were smart enough to just ask..
Have fun..
I emailed the guy personally and he responsed with this

you are right with the energy ratings of the GPS module. And generally it would work by just connecting it without resistors. However, the 5V pin on the Arduino Uno bypasses the voltage regulator and can be instable. Since the current output is rated at max 200mA on that particular pin, the 10 Ohm and 47 Ohm resistors are placed in the circuit as a simple safety mechanism. The resistors are current limitators so that the module can't get damaged or fried by too much current if interferences happen. The 57 Ohm limit the max current to 87mA.

Ohm's Law: I = V / R (0,087A = 5V / 57Ohm)

Hope that helped.

Mario

~ Dev-O-Rama ~
http://marioboehmer.blogspot.de/2011/01/gpsarduino.html
This seem correct and a better practice?