Hooking up a Nano Wifi to a USB to Serial Chip

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by AgentSmithers, Jan 25, 2011.

1. AgentSmithers

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Okay Hi everyone!

First off thank you for everyone making me feel welcome as I head on my way to becoming a Guru at circuits! =)

So far I have a Breadboard with this chip, It is a USB to Serial Device found here ( http://guides.machinescience.org/mod/book/view.php?id=974 ) that lets me send RAW LLC Serial out the TX and RX pins on the device and I am hooking it up directly to this device

I believe the USB to Serial is pumping 5V 500MA and I need it bring it down to 3.3V and some amount of Milliamps but I do not see it in the PDF, can any of you point out what resistor I should use to bring the V and MA down so I don't fry my chip. Thanks!

My Guess is
    5V Voltage Source
    3.3 diode forward voltage
    250MA diode forward current (mA)

And the result I get is this..

The wizard recommends a 1W or greater 8.2 ohm resistor. The color code for 8.2 ohms is grey red gold.

Thanks for your help!!!
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. AgentSmithers

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 14, 2011
  4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Packaging, Surface mount varietes and a TO-220 option is there for prototype work with solderless breadboard. You can click on the package name, ex. TO-263 in that list to see what the layout and dimensions are.

The ES and ET extensions are extended temperature range (-40° - +125° C) devices in the same package. The IMP versions are the standard temperature (-40° - +85°C) range.