Honeywell 3 Speed Fan Re-assembly?

IowanChef

Joined Mar 6, 2010
So I had gotten a faulty Honeywell 3 speed fan to tinker with, and after replacing the faulty switch, I can't seem to figure out how to put this thing back together. It's super-simple in regards to components and holes for them, but there's the issue of this capacitor..

The board is laid out with the red yellow and brown wires for the three speeds, and I've got those soldered in just fine, but the holes for ACL, ACN, and the two for COM are a little tricky.. There are seven wires coming out of this motor, which is controlled by a Sonix brand microcontroller (with quite a few pins left unused, I might add) but I just don't understand what the others are for..

Red, Yellow, Brown, two Black, White, and Grey.

One of the black ones, the grey one, and the white one are cut shorter than the other ones, including the speed wires, leaving me to believe they are the ones involved with the capacitor, and maybe two of those connect on one end of that cap..

Pics included. Thanks again for all help and advice..

Attachments

IowanChef

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Nada? I've been looking around and there's really not much to be found regarding motors with seven leads, the Sonix microcontroller, or precisely what kind of AC to DC conversion is going on here. I found a similar circuit for a power supply in my junk bin, and might be a little closer to understanding what's going on here, but is the starter capacitor what is my odd man out here?

Of the seven wires to the fan, I've got Red - High, Yellow - Medium, Brown - Low. That leaves me the two spaces marked ACL/ACN for the AC line, which seems obvious, but I have two black wires, a white, and a grey still coming from the fan after making those connections. And the two empty holes at COM on the board.. Does this loose 3uf cap go across a couple of these, saving me board space/connections?

I guess I just ask the dumbest most pointless questions..

Sorry guys. I'll dry up, blow away, and go back to lurking eventually..

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The only thing I can even suggest, is to see if you can search and find a wiring diagram for this fan. Honeywell has a monstrosity of a website, I would check there first.

Without being there, I dont feel comfortable having you work with mains voltages that I tell you to hook up from pictures where I cant make heads or tails of what goes where.

Maybe when rifaa has more time (His sister just gave birth, and there is rioting in the streets on his island) he can help.

ACL is probably AC-Line
ACN " neutral
COM is common

I would try to find the wiring diagram on honeywells site.

(And take pictures WHILE you disassemble next time ;) )

IowanChef

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Oh my god yes, I am usually much better about documenting disassemble procedures, but I didn't have both hands in this particular one.

And I have exhausted myself (i.e. "Googled the **** out of") with trying to track down any wiring diagram for this HT-380 turbo fan. Honeywell has them made by someone else, and the chip inside produces equally few results when Googled.

There's a cap on the board that connects the common pad to varistor and a pair of diodes in opposing polarity (some rectification perhaps?). One diode connects to the negative end of a big electrolytic cap, the other to the neutral AC pad where the varistor's other leg lies. AC live goes straight to a fuse (1.5amp) that leads to the common pad.

So this second capacitor was in line with two of the wires coming from the fan, and it's one of the big black plastic box types. This freak 7 wire/lead motor is also a hard thing to track down. Even the part number produces ZERO (literally, zero) results.

In summary, three of the seven wires coming from the fan are set. They're good. 100 percent positive about that. But I still have two wires from the AC line, two lines on this separate cap, and still four more coming from the fan..

And why the hell are there seven wires, two of which are black? My last clue is that the three speed selection wires and one of the black ones are all the same length, leading me to believe that they were all straight to the board, which means the long black wire from the fan goes to common.

I'd gladly give up on this project if it weren't 104 degrees and I had more to spend on running the air conditioning! Ha. Crap.

Thanks again retched. I'll remember you when I'm smarter and wealthier..

IowanChef

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Perhaps I'll attempt drawing something up and proposing it to the sages for approval.. My schematics sketches are in their infancy, so be gentle.. I plan on going to school for something along these lines, so I'll only be improving..

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That would be much better.

It makes more sense to us as a schematic rather than a bunch of parts laying on your table.

;)

IowanChef

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Here we go. This is what I'm looking at, pretty much. I stopped where I did because the board started getting wild around the chip.. but this, I'm hoping, will be enough to show you guys what I'm working with and get me in the right direction..

Attachments

afmedic

Joined Aug 4, 2011
I know it is a bit late but, I'm wanting to change out my switch board because the switch isn't working correctly, where were you able to obtain the board?

Also, being that I have this fan and board connected:

White goes to COM
Grey goes to ACN
Black goes to ACL