honda gen. starts then stops.

ronbros

Joined Jun 6, 2013
honda EX4500 starts right away, then when key switch is released to run it stops?

if i hold key on start postion it continues to run fine, auto throttle works fine,when holding key in start.

puts out 120V and 240V OK.

what am i looking for?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
honda EX4500 starts right away, then when key switch is released to run it stops?

if i hold key on start postion it continues to run fine, auto throttle works fine,when holding key in start.

puts out 120V and 240V OK.

what am i looking for?
Well this is not the right forum for this but will help anyways ...Have any knowledge of working on small motors ????

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Decades ago my car did the same thing: ran fine with the key in START but let it drop back to RUN and it would promptly stall. I nursed it a few blocks home and me and my Dad had a look... though I have a minor memory I saw it myself, he confirmed what I was seeing.

The car had a resistor in series with the coil. During start this was shorted out to give a hotter spark, and during run it was left in. Well... one of the leads had wiggled off the resistor that was just bolded to the engine wall. Stuck the wire back and my klunker came back to life.

So it may be something electrical, something that gets switched in during run.

Got a schematic to lookie? See if you can google one up.