Homemade reverb unit idea...

TheBellows

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I've ben working with some spring reverb units and i have looked a bit into the "slinky" reverb, a homemade reverb unit.
I just got an idea to make a similar device, but i was thinking of using a small speaker, remove the membrane, glue on a some steel wire and place an electronic pickup above it.
Do you think this will work as a reverb unit?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why do you want to make a horrible-sounding reverb from the 60's??
Why not digitize the sound then play it back later??

I hope you don't think of using an old tape recorder.

TheBellows

Joined Jan 18, 2009
So this thing would work?

What do you mean by using an old tape recorder? I'm not talking about tape based reverb/delay/echo.

The idea was to make an alternative to the spring reverb unit, the sound doesn't have to be excellent, if there is an effect at all i'm interested. :)

I have played around with the PT2399 echo chip to produce some kind of reverb, but i like experimenting and finding new sounds and noises so i just wonder if the thing would work at all...

I know this would work with a speaker and a mic in a tube or box, but would it work with an amputated speaker with some steel wire glued to it while a guitar pickup picks up the vibration from the vibrating wire?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might get better results with a spring attached to the speaker center and pulled out with a bit of force to stretch it. The pickup on a spring reverb is usually the attachment for the spring, though.

TheBellows

Joined Jan 18, 2009
You might get better results with a spring attached to the speaker center and pulled out with a bit of force to stretch it. The pickup on a spring reverb is usually the attachment for the spring, though.
Good idea, maybe i can get it sound almost like a spring reverb?
If i use six different springs, place each one in front of each pin on the guitar pickup maybe?

I've read about a similar approaches and my guess is that it will produce a much "bigger" sound,
but to me it sounds like these sort of constructions would easily fall apart and not be very sturdy as in something you could use in live performances.

Here is the project i'm talking about: http://www.electronicpeasant.com/projects/springs/springs.html

Do anyone know where to buy "attenuators", as in those used in spring reverb units?