homemade PC controller Steel Battalion

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by SageMoonblade, Dec 12, 2009.

1. SageMoonblade

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Anyone ever seen, heard or tried to build a dual joystick controller similar to the Steel Battalion unit? I have been thinking about trying this and any info related to this being done or tried would be a great help.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The Steel Battalion game came equipped with a controller.

If you have a controller, perhaps we could help you repair it.

However, if you don't have the controller, we can only assume that you have a pirated copy of the game, and want to operate it.

This site will not support pirating of any kind.

If you want to play the game, buy it.

3. SageMoonblade

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Personally I don't have the game nor would I ever pirate it. So yes I don't have one but I did figure it would work well to be used with the Mechwarrior series of games. Also I was not intending on making an exact copy as Steel Battalion used things that the Mechwarrior series never has when it comes to game interface.

To be honest I am disappointed that the first reply I received after my asking for help was to accuse me of pirating the game. Not all people on the net are pirates. Jumping to conclusions will get you no where.

All I am looking for is info to help me build a dual stick type of controller with a large number of buttons.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I see. Perhaps an apology is in order. It is not uncommon for such requests to be posted.

I have not built one of these controllers. It would require quite a bit of experimenting to decode the signal inputs to the system, and it could be risky.

You will first need to find out what kind of input data stream your game controller requires.

It could be just about anything. Ethernet, USB, I2C, FireWire, many different standard and proprietary protocols exist. Games tend to use proprietary protocols. They don't want people using controllers for other game consoles with their game consoles; they want people to buy their controllers. Of course, the big money is in the distribution of the games themselves; but a corner on the market for their controllers is nice, too.

Once you understand the protocol that the game console requires, you'll need a way to mimic that protocol. A microcontroller would be a very likely choice; you could use the I/O pins of a uC to scan your control inputs, set or reset bits in the data stream to the console, and send them along. Repeat in a loop ad infinitum.

It'll be challenging.