Homemade LED taillights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ydeardorff

Joined Apr 1, 2010
I am also a DIY'er making my own setup for a VW based Kit car.
Using 4 light assemblies with two arrays per light One of 18 LED's and the other with 24.
Im using a PWM for brightness control on my lights for the running light part.
I have my circuit design laid out and ready to go. However I am playing with ideas on how to wire this using the PWM.
Since the PWM takes both the + and the - wires, Ill have to rig some sort of relay system that bypasses the input wires and switches them over to the stop circuit when the pedal is pressed. Of course, then releases when the brake pedal is released.
Im told the PWM will not function correctly if it is connected to the stop light circuit as well, something about sharing a ground or something.
Im trying to locate a relay, that I can hook this is up to. A 6 pin relay Im guessing.
Any ideas? Adding power (brake pedal) on pins 1/2 opens the circuit of 3/4(tail lights), and closes the circuit through 5/6(stop lights). Removing power from pins 1/2 opens the circuit on 5/6 and closes the circuit on 3/4 restoring the tail lights.
Where would I look for this? The local boys at autozone arent very good at looking things up like this.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In Canada it is illegal to change lighting on a motor vehicle. Little kids use aftermarket or home-made LED lights that cannot be seen at night then they get rear-ended. Many have their cars taken away by the police but I don't know how the cops can see them at night.

ydeardorff

Joined Apr 1, 2010
This is a modernizing upgrade. Its also a lumen upgrade from two bulbs about 800 lumens, to 168 45K MCD LED's putting out about 1400 lumens.

I just need to find a relay that will switch two wires when kicked on, not just one. I can find 5 post relay all day.

its a 7 post I cant find

Status
Not open for further replies.