homemade battery

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by electrical handicap, Apr 12, 2009.

1. electrical handicap

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    hi i recently built a homemade battery with soda cans and copper tubing.
    im sure most of you know what this simple contraption is.
    im trying to get enough power to charge a 12 volt dc car battery.

im getting a reading of 13.8 volts from 16 soda cans but i cant seem to get any amperage .anyone know how i could increase my amperage without increasing my voltage beyond the point of charging car batteries.

sorry if i sound lame im tottaly new to this. any comments would be appreciated.

ps.just wanted thank those of you who share your wealth of knowledge
    with all us newbies . YOU REALLY MAKE LIFE BETTER

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. electrical handicap

Apr 12, 2009
    thanks bertus i suspected it would be the size of the plates maybe i;ll construct an alluminum and copper plate capacitor wired in paralell tied into my series soda cans.think it would help? thanks again GOD I LOVE THIS SITE

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Your home-made battery won't produce much current, I'm afraid. You would need to build a whole bunch of them and connect them in parallel.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Think hundreds of plates, in parallel. Sounds like you have the series part down already.

Car batteries plates are about 0.2" each, per pair. Think how many pair they have to do their job. They are also laid out in a grid to maximize surface area.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I don't know what you're using for an electrolyte, but placing those cans inside a leak-proof container is a good idea. It won't take too long for the cans to become full of holes from electrochemical action.

7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Might want to make sure the car battery isn't trying to charge your batteries as well, that could make a mess.

If you have an Ammeter, measure the short circuit current of your battery, depending on type of cans and electrolyte, I doubt it is over 1 Amp at 13.8V. No Ammeter, see if it will light a 12V/15W light bulb. If not, there isn't enough current.

Solar is about the best "free energy" for charging a car battery, but it takes quite a while unless a very large panel is used. Even with the "top off" charge, a high current "bulk charge" is needed periodically to circulate the electrolyte so dissolved components are reabsorbed.

8. electrical handicap

Apr 12, 2009
    thanks everyone for your input .i think i have enough info to carry on with the building of the capacitor wired in paralell . the project is contained in an old deep freeze its leak proof and offers lots of area for adding capacitors.
    ps can;t tell ya how much i appreciste your input thanks on behalf of myself and many others.

god bless you all

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    In a deep freeze? You are aware, I hope, that any baterry with a water-based electrolyte will release some hydrogen when charging. You have not mentioned what electrolyte you are using. Aluminum by itself is also pretty reactive and can release hydrogen by just chemical reaction. So, you have two sources of hydrogen: electrolysis amd chemical.

Be careful.

John