Homebrew Analog Computer

mikep56

Joined Feb 27, 2009
Hi All,
This is a great forum for both newbies and advanced techies alike. I am a senior level tech and I have rediscovered analog computers. I would like to build a homebrew analog computer with op amps, obviously. I have done extensive research and found that detailed schematics are in rather short supply. I have come up with a few partial schematics that I am going to try to cobble together, and see how it performs. I will be building a +/- 10V system. I want to be able to solve 2nd order differential equations, and have my young nephews use it to solve simple algebra problems.
However I have a few questions:

1) Is there any advantage to using 2 op amps, one to do a summer function followed by an integrator op amp; as opposed to using a summing junction on the input of the integrator op amp, thereby saving 1 op amp?
2) I have available both 741s and TL084s. Any preference?

Thanks for any feedback that comes my way!
Regards,
Mike

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You would be better off with a low voltage op amp, such as the LM324 quad. The 741 is good for low frequencies, but its power supply specs are nonexistent. Think ±15VDC. A LM324 will go down to 3V on the power supply, and handle your ±10VDC power supplies just fine.

Most op ams do not handle near the power supply rails very well, so figure your going to get ±8V with that power supply range.