Home Work

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Jbird, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Jbird

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Can someone please explain to me how to work this problem! Thanks!!

You are an electrician installing the wiring in a new home. The homeowner desires that a ceiling fan with light kits be installed in five different rooms. Each fan contains a light kit that can accommodate four 60-watt lamps. Each fan motor draws a current of 1.8 amperes when operated on high speed. It is assumed that each fan can operate more than three hours at a time and therefore must be considered a continuous-duty device. The fans are to be connected to a 15-ampere circuit. Because the devices are continuous duty, the circuit current must be limited to 80% of the continuous connected load. How many fans can be connected to a single 15-ampere circuit? How many circuits will be required to supply power to all five fans?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Do the arithmetic.
    How many amps does each 60-watt lamp take?
    What is the AC line voltage?

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Take you best shot at it and present your work. We can then see what you are getting right and what you are missing. At that point we can give you hints that will let you work your way toward the answer.

4. Jbird

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    ok, this is what I think the solution is, or what I will be turning in:
    each light kit has 4 60-W lamps which = 240-W/120V= 2-amps X 5 = 10-amps
    each motor pulls 1.8-amps X 5 = 9-amps
    total both light kits and motor pull 19-amps meaning I can only connect 3 fans to that single 15-A and I would need another one for the other 2

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I can't quite tell if you missed an important point or not.

Would your answer still be the same if the motor pulled 2.1A?

Explain your answer either way.