Home outlet question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Chrizg, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Chrizg

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    I am having an issue with a few outlets that I think is on the same circut. It started with the light kit in my bedroom fan blowing the bulbs and not working with new bulbs and 2 lamps also blowing bulbs. The outlet tester I have shows the outlets on the circut is wired correct. My MM is showing 2 volts on the left side(ground) of all the outlets on the same circut and 116-117 on the right side. Other outlets in the house show 0 volts on the left and 119-120 on the right. Do I have a bad outlet or an issue at the main box ? In USA. Thanks !

Just checking to see if it is something simple I can check before calling in a pro.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Open your circuit breaker box, stick one hand in your back pocket, wear dry shoes, do not lean against anything that is metal, and tighten each screw with an insulated screwdriver until your hand squeaks. If that doesn't fix it, you have a searching job, and amateurs usually can't accomplish that.

3. Chrizg

Jan 12, 2015
    Just retested with the MM and getting .2-.3 on the left side and 121-122 on the right side

4. Chrizg

Jan 12, 2015
    So tighten the ground plane screws or the connections for the breakers ?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I said, "each screw". It's like, "Do I have to floss all my teeth? No, only the ones you want to keep".
    Do I have to tighten all the screws? No, only the ones you want to work.

Gdrumm and tom_s like this.