Home-made Iontophoresis machine

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TsAmE, Nov 19, 2010.

1. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I have a condition known as Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of the hands) and came across a video which showed how to make a homemade Iontophoresis machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0pj2tf6_4). These machines help prevent sweating with regular usage.

From the video I saw that a 12V battery was used and the only resistance which was used were stainless steel pans and your body as resistance. Would this set up be safe? (i.e. no electrocutions).

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    A much safer and more effective way would be to make a pair of bracelets from stainless steel wire and damp cotton. They would both hook up to one side of the battery. The pans would have the other polarity. That way the only current flow would be between the wrist and hand, not through the whole body (including the heart) and the current flow is always in the correct direction (although I don't know which way round it should be). Make sure everything is good quality stainless steel because otherwise you are pushing metal ions through the skin.

3. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Would this circuit diagram be correct? (please refer to attachment).

I connected the bracelets in parallel, as you said they would both hook up to one side of the battery (same reasoning for connecting the pans in parallel).

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, that's how I'd do it. No idea about the polarity of the battery.
    Might be best to try a lower voltage to start as there is less of your body for the current to flow through than in the video so less resistance.
    Any ill effects discontinue use, etc.

I'd recommend making the bracelets with as much contact area as possible because that way the current is spread over a larger area to reduce the sensation.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Oh ok thanks a lot. I am just curious about a few things. I uploaded an updated pic (the hands in the pic have been elongated just so they can reach the pans, but the long part is essentially just the wrist).

I wanted to know why damp cotton would be needed for the bracelet, since stainless steel is a conductor by itself. Also would using a 9V battery in this setup give a safe current?

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    The damp cotton is because dry skin is a bad conductor. I've no idea about the safety, however higher voltages are used in things like muscle stimulators and there is no risk of current through the chest here. I think so long as you stay below a level that is painful there should be no major risks.

TsAmE likes this.
  7. TsAmE

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I couldnt find any stainless steel wire lying around but I did find copper bracelets. Would these be fine? (not release metal ions into the water?)

8. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    TsAmE likes this.