Home Grounding Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Jassper, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Jassper

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 24, 2008
    I have had a Week earth ground for some time now in my home. When I first moved in, We kept blowing light bulbs, burning out dimmer switches, and I had to clean the points(flame detection) on my furnace about once a month.

I added a second earth ground which eliminated almost all our issues, I only need to clean the points on my furnace once a year which is recommended.

However with the advent of digital TV, I have been having reception issues which I believe are related to this earth ground issue. When ever a heavy load like a bath vent, hair dryer or dishwasher is turned on, the DTV drops in and out. Through other sources and diagnoses, this all points to a bad earth ground.

So, how do I ensure my earth ground is solid?
    Thanks

2. dsp_redux

Apr 11, 2009
    Maybe you have a bad earth ground, but the problem could be something else. For exemple, with excessive load, the power transformer near your house might not be able to answer the demand on startup of your equipement. Same thing for your fuse box (depending of the box). Either way, you should hire a professional to diagnose this out.

3. whatsthatsmell

Oct 9, 2009
    I have to agree with dsp_redux. The earth ground you installed may be helping to cover up another problem.

Your info doesnt' state where you are, so we don't know if we are talking 110v or 220v.

Does your home have any GFCIs (ground fault circuit interrupter)? If so, I would think they would be tripping all the time.

In any event, get it checked out by a professional. The power company (in most areas) will also check to see that the power is OK to the meter box.

4. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    I had a problem wherein the ceiling lights would get brighter when the clothes dryer started. I found several loose screws in the ground strip inside the breaker box. Go check for loose screws. It fixed my problem.

5. Jassper

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Well I don't have the money to hire a pro, and I doubt the power company will do it for free.

I am in the US, 120 volt 200 amp service. 4 homes are feed from the same transformer box.

I have GFIs and before I added the second ground rod, They would blow every once and a while for no reason.

I've checked all the connections in the Main box. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009

Agreed.... Main problem, as I see it, is that the line between the neutral bus and the transformer is making poor connection somewhere. If you think about it as center tapped transformer (which it is, assuming US 240VAC feed), as the balance between loads on the 120 volt sides change, the opposite side will effectively either go up or down in voltage. I've seen many loose screws on the neutral right at the buss bar entry to the breaker box.