Home Decor- Hang a painting

Neyolight

Joined Dec 13, 2011
Heya all you techies :cool:

Ok this happens to be the only forum Im active in ,which is quite a compliment for ACC ( hehehe) and also I have no other place to go to for my techincal and non techincal probs!

Allright so I just bough a beautiful oil painting online. It was delivered to me yesterday and looked absolutely wonderful. The only problem is I dont know how to hang it. It came on a wooden canvas with no hooks or anything!

Also , I live in Auckland (NZ) and here we have wooden houses and I wouldn't ever dare to put a nail through my wall

So, if any of you has any experience in home decor , could you please give me some suggestions?

Cheers :)

Neyolight

Joined Dec 13, 2011
Some "no more nails" should do the trick.

It should never come down again - unless you take the wall with it.:D
Im going to have a look in Miter10 Mega this weekend and see if I find any 'no more nails' stuff........:rolleyes:

The house is brand new. Its only 3 years old so Im bit worried about damaging the new walls :(

Neyolight

Joined Dec 13, 2011
Can you get 3M Command Adhesive wall hangers in NZ? ...at a local hardware or home supply store? They glue to your wall, but can be removed by pulling on a simple tab. They are available on Amazon, too: Command Adhesive Medium Hooks

The official site is here for more information
That looks like it'll do the job. The only problem is my painting is on a wooden canvas with no hook to attach it to a wall. So, if the hook in the link you provided was perpendicular to the wall then the painting would sit perfectly. Im hanging the wooden canvas on the wall.

Heres what the canavas looks like ( expect my one is much thinner and looks week) : http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=wo...bnw=181&start=43&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:43

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
There is hardware that can be attached to the rear which will hang Off the hook. Or you can put two screw eyes on each side and connect them with picture hanging wire.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Put some: Screw Eyes into the inside of the frame. Then use some Picture Hanging Wire between them. No use some sort of hook or two on the wall, the command hooks djsfantasi suggested should do. Now you can hang your picture from this. Depending on where you place the eyes on the picture frame will depend how close it hangs/hugs to the wall.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A canvass like you are describing is supposed to be framed. Oil paintings normally aren't framed using glass over the paintings like photographs are. Just a wooden frame around the canvass. If the painting is very large, over 12"square or so, two hooks are normally used, about 1/3 of the overall width of the painting apart. This allows them to support the weight and level the painting on the wall easily.

Learned this working part time for a "home interior designer" years ago, as an installer.