Home-based electronics lab

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Radio Shack stores are starting to carry Forrest M. Mims III's great "Engineers Mini-Notebooks" series again. Pick up Volume I and Volume IV at least.

You can also buy them from Forrest.
Forrests' site: http://www.forrestmims.com/engineers_mini_notebook.html

Radio Shack has also started carrying his "Electronics Learning Lab" again.
Link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337

Lots of experiments to try in two notebooks; you can download the 2nd one from the link. You'll get a lot of use out of this lab.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I appreciate all the input. What would be advantageous about using an analog meter versus a digital one? And can any of you recommend a good text for learning the fundamentals of electricity? Experiments for newbies?
Look at the top of the page your viewing right now. This site has a text book that is its core, complete with Volume 6, which is a set of experiments.

Digital meters are generally easier to use and more accurate (not to mention cheaper). DVM = Digital Volt Meter, VOM = Volt Ohm Meter. These abbreviations are the shorthand people use to talk about the two types.

I would not recommend a VOM for a first meter myself.

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Don't get an ultra cheap DMM. You'll be tempted to measure mains or other large source with it because it says it'll do it, and that isn't safe. They may say "CAT III" but I wouldn't believe them. You can get great $100 meters.

If you want to grab an analog current meter, go for it -- they look pretty nifty. I found a bunch on eBay for <$5 incl. shipping. The range depends on what you'll be doing with it. If you're doing mostly digital stuff and small IC's, grab one that goes up to ~1A, as most of your measurements will be in the mA range.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually, I strongly disagree with the last post. A very decent meter can be had for $15-20, with all the bells and whistles. When you need something better they will still be there, and having several meters can be very useful.

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Yes, a $20 meter might have proper input and blast protection, but it isn't guaranteed; the cheapest ones certainly won't. They may all have "CAT-II" or better printed on them, too. If you can't find a review mentioning these items, don't get it. If you can check yourself or find a review mentioning input protection, then it's more likely fine. (I'd still check it once in hand, though!) I mention $100 because I've found a few excellent ones in that range.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The OP isn't working on house current. The subject of the thread is setting up an electronics workbench. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to impress anyone when $20 will do.

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Apologies if I appear argumentative, but I stand by my opinion. I believe that a meter will eventually be used to measure mains if it in the house, so any meter in the house ought to be up to the task.