home automation through telephone

kautilya

Joined Apr 26, 2007
hi there,

i am trying a project on home automation. i am trying to design my own system for this. can u give me some ideas regarding this? any site i should refer? any journal papers i can refer?

what is the simulation software i should know for designing this system?

i will appreciate if u help me in this matter.

regards
kautilya

kautilya

Joined Apr 26, 2007
Hi there

I am working on a project on home automation using a telephone as a media, which serves main part of this system, by using home phone as a local phone and another phone, either landline or mobile phone as a remote phone.

This system uses Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) technology of our telephone set. Every telephone set will have this facility. We have two type of dialing facilities in our telephone system (i) Pulse dialing mode (ii) Tone dialing mode. Here this system works on tone dialing mode.

I have identified a circuit which performs all the operations of my project, from the internet itself. But now i am facing a problem. I want to simulate the circuit using any simulation software such as PSPICE or MATLAB. Since I am not profiecient in any of these softwares, I will require your help for the same. I will give you the link which will take you to the complete details of the circuit along with a block diagram and a complete circuit. Pls. do the needful.

The link is http://electrosofts.com/dtmf/

I am badly in need of your help. Hope you appreciate it.

regards
kautilya

Last edited:

kautilya

Joined Apr 26, 2007
Hi there.

As I had stated in my previous post I want some help in simulating the circuit. Well, I have done something myself but with a lot of errors. I am just a beginner in MATLAB and hence I require your help. the program is about dtmf encoding and decoding to a BCD decoder.

The program compiled has a few errors in them. Pls. go thro it.

I have attached the same.

regards
kautilya

Attachments

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Lookup "X-10".

There are lots of components there that will help with such a system. You can still choose which parts to do yourself, but all the boring parts can be gotten "off the shelf." There are even telephone based controllers, but you may just want to get a serial interface controller and do the phone part yourself.

And this can save you from having to work with the high voltage/current of the house wiring.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
But now i am facing a problem. I want to simulate the circuit using any simulation software such as PSPICE or MATLAB.
I designed a similar system back in the '90s, and did not use, need, nor want simulation software. I think I simulated a phone line with a 12V battery and a 600-ohm 1/2W resistor. On one end was a DTMF phone, and on the other was my circuit. I used an o'scope to check the DTMF signal, and to make sure the MT8870 was working properly.

Actually building the device will give you a feel for it far beyond what a simulation will.

--Rich