Home Audio Subwoofer Amp Design

CWorthington

Joined Dec 16, 2009
Hey, I'm new to All About Circuits. My name is Colton.
Anyways, I was interested in building my own amplifier for one of my smaller home audio subs. Im not sure how to go about even starting my project.
I did look into how to build your own amps and others like it on here but im still not sure what I should do.
I think my speaker(s) are 6in. 20w 8 ohm generic.
What i had in mind is, for my audio amplifier, it has an external for subwoofers, but the sub must have a built in or such amp. well i got this all set up, but its not powered right becuase it is a Bostin Acustics Sub for a computer. All im looking to do it make a gain or an new amp to power this sub or possible one or two more.
Ps. I would like to use the wall souce for voltage.

Any suggestions on where i should start?

Maybe even a small (handheld size or such) starters design for a small speaker.
P.S. Im currently in school for Electro-Mechanical Engineering Tech. im only a freshman.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Semiconductor manufacturers make hundreds of amplifier ICs. Their datasheets have the schematics and pcb designs.

Your 6" speaker is too small to be a sub-woofer although I had one that was only 4" at the beach 35 years ago.

Bose makes sound systems with a little 4.5" woofer and tiny satellite speakers. They make boom-boom noises but no real bass.

CWorthington

Joined Dec 16, 2009
5" Boston Digital BS735. It does what i want it to do. I just need the low freq. sound effects to make my surround sound more dynamic sounding =]

ftsolutions

Joined Nov 21, 2009
If you want to simply assemble a "kit" of a basic IC-based audio amplifier, you can do a google search on LM3886 amp and/or "gainclone" or visit chipamp.com which sells kits if you aren't ready to design one.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
As a mechanical tech student you will presumably appreciate that the lower the frequency the larger the 'piston' moving the air needs to be.

You can approximate a large piston by an array of smaller ones, moving in unison.

So you can make a reasonable sub woofer out of an array of smaller diameter cones.

A square array is best for the effect you seek.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If you just want to possibly build an enclosure for the woofer and add a pre made amp module, you can get those at parts express. Here is one they have for a 25W woofer, so it should work perfect for your application >> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-782

Also look around their site, they have a DIY speaker building section that shows schematics for amps and crossovers....

also look at Velleman Amplifier Kits, if you want to solder it your self...http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350530

I would go for the first one I suggested, for the price and quality, it can't be beat by any home made velleman kit...

My .02

Last edited:

CWorthington

Joined Dec 16, 2009
Im sorry once again, its a 5in 20w 8 ohm Boston Digital speaker. Its already in a box w/ amp but it is simply not loud enough and my led indicator pulses from power drawls. What would i be able to do to boost its output and increase the power in. I could spend $80 and buy a used real sub with amp kit but rather expiercence this optertunity =]

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I couldn't find the speaker in Google nor in Boston acoustics.
If you feed the little low power rated speaker more power to try to make it louder then it will probably blow up.

CWorthington

Joined Dec 16, 2009
Its boston digital not acustics and also, im aware oh how much power can go to these. ive done many different things with speaker. Im not even close to blowing it up.

So is there a way i can just make it gain power?

model...

Boston DigitalBA735
I just have the sub hooked up.

CWorthington

Joined Dec 16, 2009
Okay, lets put the speaker of to the side for a second.
How do boost how much goes to the output of the amp?

Once were done, ill hook it back up, if the speaker blows, ill step back the mod, and ill replace it with one of the three speakers that are the same.

Let me know if i can boost it and how.
Thankyou.

Colton