Holden dash cluster upgrade

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by W1r3d, Sep 2, 2015.

1. W1r3d

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Hi all,
    I am upgrading my factory dash cluster and i am having a hard time reconstructing the circuits that trigger the various warning lamps mainly the resistance based lamp lights.
    I have mounted 4 x red 12 volt LEDs which i want to use to indicate the below-
    Check oil
    Check engine
    Brake fail
    Park brake / hand brake engaged

I think I have the below LEDs under control but always welcome a 2nd pair of eyes.
    2x green LEDs to be used for turn signals. I believe this is simple and just need the positives to the factory wire. Left turn positive from LED to wire 12 on connector 1 and right turn wire 12 on connector 2.
    1 x blue LED to indicate Hi Beam engaged. Which requires the positive from the LED to connect with the 2nd wire on connector 3.
    I welcome any help you guys can offer as this is kicking my ass and we have a national car show in town this weekend and would love to take my ride in.

2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Just test the circuits using a voltmeter or one of the 12V LEDs.

3. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes some of the simple circuits such as the turn signals are easy. The red warning lamp are the ones I need to replicate to make my new 12 volt LEDs.

4. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    Any ideas?
    I am pretty sure i will have to install relays for both indicators and the high beam led

What the best way to create a continuity based indicator led? Relays

5. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    What kind of car are you building there???
    When upgrading you can use the factory harness but you will need a wiring diagram for the dash ...I might be able to help with that since I have a copy of ALLDATA of file for most cars in the USA . What you are going to do is use led in place of the normal lamps but you are gong to have to use current limiting resistors ..So you don't blow them but they will act just like normal idiot light but in led form.. All the circuits should be relay already so all you have to do is tap off the remote or power on wire and can tie all the ground wires together..

6. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    Hi Dr Killjoy,
    I am working on a Holden VS Ute so I am not sure if you will have access to much info as they are Australian built.

I have included above some good pics of the wire harness that the standard dash cluster connects too and a pick of the new cluster I am replacing it will.
    Also is a Word doc outlining the scope of help I need.
    I am grateful for any info you can share as this is kicking my ass

7. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    Scope of LED concept

Park

Connector 1 wire 6

Park Brake ON continuity, Park Brake OFF, Open Circuit

Engine

Connector 1 wire 7
    Not sure of the trigger for this one?

Oil

Connector 1 wire 8

Engine OFF continuity, Engine Running Open Circuit

Brake

Connector 1 wire 9

Resistance/ continuity ??

L/H Turn

Connector 1 wire 12

Alternating between 5 and 8 volts

R/H Turn

Connector 2 wire 12

Alternating between 5 and 8 volts

High Beam

Connector 3 wire 2

B+ at all times

Connector 3 wire 4

Head lamp OFF or ON and Low beam B+

High Beam approx 1.0 volt

Instrument illumination power source

Connector 2 wire 4

0 volts headlamps OFF, 12 volt head lamps or park lamps ON

8. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Stop PM me cause you need an answer ... I was doing research for you .. I am use to old school cars where we just cut the harness just for the engine and the rest gets cut out and replaced with a Painless Wire harness kits an be done with it ... The problem you are having is that the car uses digital signal to communicate to each whether it has to be on or off and not the old 12v on or off method ... I would use the old dash circuit panel for the original setup and mod the output for leds..For the people who don't understand .. The dash gauge cluster most times have a thin plastic pcb that hold all the circuits for each bulb or gauge .. I would make a modded version in a smaller foot print and hook the leds from there..

Oh you be better off finding a forum on your specific car where they have done this mod already and can help you out more ... Cause the reality is that I am not there and can only help so much with the info you provided and with a forum there might be someone locally that can come and help you out..

9. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    Dr killjoy, I only sent you 1 message so that we could communicate more privately but it looks like there is not point as you can not help any further.
    I am currently cutting and soldering the old circuits on my spare cluster.

10. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    point Dr.killjoy is making here, this is a PUBLIC forum, not a lets see if someone bites and bug them forum.

i believe at that time VDO in west heidelberg (VIC) were making the instrument clusters, was working there when they were doing the s-pack cluster for the one after yours (vu?)

i'd suggest you could get in touch with them.

people around here are more than happy to help if they can but please remember their time is just as important as yours.

11. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    The cluster is for a vs series older than the vu.
    I know this is a public forum and if 1 private message is 'bugging' my bad.

12. W1r3d

Sep 2, 2015
    I am considering a Arduino based system where the LEDs are controlled through a Optocoupler.
    Does anyone know of a premade 12 volt step down to 5 volt?
    I have seen how to construct the circuit with resisters but I am looking for up to 8 inputs