HNC

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by snakecharm, Aug 4, 2012.

1. snakecharm

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Hi everyone
    I am new to this site,have been reading threads for a while but decided to register and ask some questions hope you dont mind.
    I work for an electronics company as a trainee technician at the moment (I know 40 female Trainee Technican)
    I have completed my ONC with DD grade
    the college that i did this at suited me down to the ground as it was all assignments, no exams, but they have stopped doing the HNC at this college so the nearest college for HNC is exam based (exams scare me), I just wondered if anyone had any advice on books for the HNC, if anywhere on the internet shows a sample exam paper (to see what i am letting myself in for).
    generally any good advice would be appreciated.
    sorry for waffling
    thanks for any help

2. mlog

Feb 11, 2012
    Since many of us don't know the UK educational system and certain slang, would you kindly tell us what ONC, HNC, DD grade, and "suited me down to the ground" means? It might help us non-Brits at least understand what it is you're asking, even if we don't know the answer. Thanks.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    A quick google search provides the following:

HNC: Holistic Nurse, Certified
    ONC: Orthopaedic Nurse Certified
    DD: Divinitatis Doctor (Doctor of Divinity)

Not sure if this is the right one--it sounds like medical school to me, but I'm one of them ignorant americans! :rolleyes::D

4. snakecharm

Aug 4, 2012
    hi again
    i do apologise for not making myself clear enough
    ONC = orinary national certificate in electrical electronic engineering
    HNC = higher national certificate in electrical electronic engineering
    DD = double distinction
    suits me down to the ground = just what i wanted
    sorry for confusing you
    any help much appreciated

DerStrom8 likes this.
  5. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I did the old HNC many years ago that was totally exam based and run by the IEEE. I believe things have changed a little, there's still an exam but I think about 40% of the mark is based on work done throughout the year. It would appear the same book is still applicable, Higher Electrical Engineering by Shepherd, Morton & Spence.

I hope that helps.

6. snakecharm

Aug 4, 2012
    thanks will take a look :)