Hit by spyware/virus. What to do?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Modern PC kernals and OS's seriously have to treat anything they interact with as a 'hostile force' scary because the users/admins can't be trusted to know what they're doing.
Aint that the truth.

I had an IT guy in an old company who made all hyperlinks in mail RED. He then sent an email to all existing employees saying that "Red links in emails MAY BE VIRUSES! If you do not know the sender, and are not expecting an attachment, DO NOT CLICK THE RED LINKS!"

For some reason, It worked.

Between the color RED and the email, it worked.
His system scan had to remove 99% less quarantined files after that.

(Well for the next 5 months at least.. then I left the company)

laylaa

Joined Jun 1, 2011
yes this happens cause many time if you don't have any antivirus then fake antivirus installed automatically on your computer and they create problem in every work.so try system restoring or install any good antivirus and then scan it. i think it will remove this fake antivirus.

good luck!!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My cure for viruses (that get through my antivirus program) is a backup copy in a different partition and another backup copy on a DVD. I don't know why people play "name that virus" and go through all sorts of convolutions to remove it when I can wipe the C: drive and be reloaded in 10 minutes.

I guess it depends on whether you are so dependent on your computer that you can't just wipe the C: drive. Personally, I can do that in a heartbeat.

victorhugo289

Joined Aug 24, 2010
Haha, so an evil antivirus somehow installed in your computer without your permission?

No way!! That's because you or someone clicked on a link on Internet or something.

Yes,, you can remove it, but what you did (editing the registry)was OVERKILL!!

Never let 3rd party (free) programs edit your registry, they can cause trouble.

I've successfully removed 'browser hijackers', the ones with the little band on top with lots of buttons and radio for you to listen to and horoscope and other stuff like that.

I figure it's not much different removing the evil antivirus you got.

"System restore" was the option, but who knows...

I think you have to reinstall everything again!!!

Seriously.

msimmons

Joined Jun 15, 2011
I suggest that you download anti spy ware tools online. You could also try to update your windows and check if the virus removal tools would work. If you are not successful in doing this, you can try if a trial version of kaspersky or norton can help eliminate the problem.

If not, when all else fails, I suggest that you reformat your computer. And as a lesson learned, employ stricter security measures so you avoid the problem.