Hillary's email server in my garage

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I didn't see the MN, but I will look closer tomorrow.
4 HD's are 72.8 GB each (I think), at 15,000 RPM.
I didn't know they made drives that fast.

I saw a few on Ebay; some listed for several hundred dollars, with much smaller hard drives.

I hope I can get it working, it would make a cool desktop at that speed.

Anything I need to know about to get it working?
Can I treat it like a normal desktop, load Win 7, or Vista, etc.?

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You need a windows pro xp or 7 it may not run windows 7 because of divers. I'd run Linux on it.
And scsi made drives in 78 gB that was supper fast at data rates. I had one that had four P3 cpu's It was a great web server but the drives where only seagate barracuda scsi 18gb dang t wish i still had it .

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
If you could find the motherboard make and model it would be helpful in finding out what CPU, RAM, etc. you need for it. Could be there are standard SATA or IDE connections on the board so you can disregard the need for special adapters.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
There should be a model number on it somewhere..usually on the corner of front panel or corner top/front
of unit. A number like DL380...or something...then go to support.hp.com and find some detail.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Thats where I'd start find model look up what you have post model then we could really tell the op what to do with it.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I did find the PID, and then found the MN on HP's web site.
It is a HP ProLiant DL380 G4 Server.
It has 6 RAM Slots, with 4 sticks of 1GB PC2 3200R installed
It has a CD ROM, and 4 Hard Drives (total of 6 bays)
Everything seems to be there, including the User Name, DNS Name, and Password

I found them on Ebay, starting at $18.00, up the $578.00 (with all hard drives intact).
I may just buy myself a USB attachment cable, and try using the drives.
At that speed, they could be worth having.

My oldest son is something of a Network Geek, he might have some use for it as well.
Thanks for all the input.

It's an Ultra Wide SCSI, so I would have to buy a reducer adapter, then a SCSI adapter, and I'm probably looking at $100.00 for both. Just not worth it.......

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I did find the PID, and then found the MN on HP's web site.
It is a HP ProLiant DL380 G4 Server.
It has 6 RAM Slots, with 4 sticks of 1GB PC2 3200R installed
It has a CD ROM, and 4 Hard Drives (total of 6 bays)
Everything seems to be there, including the User Name, DNS Name, and Password

I found them on Ebay, starting at $18.00, up the $578.00 (with all hard drives intact).
I may just buy myself a USB attachment cable, and try using the drives.
At that speed, they could be worth having.

My oldest son is something of a Network Geek, he might have some use for it as well.
Thanks for all the input.

It's an Ultra Wide SCSI, so I would have to buy a reducer adapter, then a SCSI adapter, and I'm probably looking at $100.00 for both. Just not worth it.......
yeah....that's the problem with those old servers. They're nice servers a few years ago but you can't get parts for them.
Maybe you can get extra used parts on ebay.

You can configure a raid array with those drives if you wanted to..

BTW -
The username/password refers to ILO..."Integrated Lights Out" management. You can manage the server (as long as its plugged in to power)
even if the server is powered off.