highway architecture and energy harvest

Jouja

Joined Mar 29, 2011
Can an architecture facade be conceived so that it can benefit from its proximity to the highway to be energy efficient? it has to be sound insulated too. Is there a technique that combines the 2?

If not, can any technique (not using sun) used to let an architecture be energy efficient be soundproofing too?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't believe there is any way to capture ambient acoustic energy that is even close to being economical. For one thing, I think the energy density available is (two?) orders of magnitude less than solar.

Jouja

Joined Mar 29, 2011
For those who think no facade on the highway can benefit from its proximity to it to be energy efficient you may answer Question #2 which is:

Can any "green" technique (Not using sun) be used to let an architecture be energy efficient & soundproofing at the same time?

For those who think that you cannot harvest highway's you may want to check these links :

On piezoelectricity:
http://www.kinergypower.com/animation/demonstration.html
http://www.kinergypower.com/technical_synopsis.shtml

On sound and its capacity to produce electricity at a small scale:
http://wiredcubes.com/green-noise-concept-convert-noise-to-electricity/

And last, here's an interesting article you might wat to check on "Potential Ambient Energy-Harvesting Sources and Techniques":
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JOTS/v35/v35n1/pdf/yildiz.pdf

Any encouraging answer would be very helpful too
Thanks

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
For those who think that you cannot harvest highway's you may want to check these links :

Any encouraging answer would be very helpful too
Thanks
There in lies the problem. You don't want, or you choose to ignore what does not fit with the answers your want. In other words, you're seeking agreement, not a logical answer. I'm sure there are forums that are devoted to this stuff and will feed your ego but it isn't here.

Jouja

Joined Mar 29, 2011
I did not mean to offend anyone of you. I don't consider myself to know anything more than you on this matter, am just a student looking for answers.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I can imagine machinery and engineering that could do it. but walking around on a "crunchy" floor to make electricity or being surrounded by large sound capture devices every where you go.

Doesn't sound like it would be a very enjoyable place. Actually seems rather hectic and stressful.

If there is a 'nice' way to do it, it might be worth mentioning to a patent lawyer/ :)

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
There is one common but important aspect that's always missing from these topics. It has nothing to do with possible vs. impossible. There are many things that are possible but totally impractical.

Oclaf

Joined Mar 26, 2011

Thanks
Did you actually read that "interesting" article?
The section on acoustic noise harvesting concluded that there was "insufficient power available from acoustic noise to be of use".

There is so little energy available from abient noise that even if you could find an effective and unobtrusive way to efficiently harvest it, the gains would be so small it would be pointless.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Most places in the world, the local population can drill holes in the ground. Simple heat exchanger technology is much more possible. Using the temp difference to drive turbines in a closed loop system. 200 or so feet down in most places to reach a useable temperature zone. Not so good in temperate zones- but the hotter tropics and colder northern latitudes are well suited for it.

Come up with a cheaper/ more user friendly way to drive those turbines and you'll get some notice. Don't even have to create anything physical, if you can arrive at a BETTER way to use or apply something already being used. Make it easier for an average individual to get into.

Just my opinion of a topic more likely to be of wide spread use if someone makes improvements.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A long row of pneumatic tubes across the highway. You are directly stealing energy from the vehicles, but it would power a light.

Jouja

Joined Mar 29, 2011
By highway, I meant noise of course but vibration too...
And I failed to mention that it s a concrete highway bridge.

So sound harvesting cannot produce effective amounts of energy.
And there s no funky dunky way of making a highway architecture energy efficient.

Being a student in architecture, I subscribed to this forum to get 'practical' answers. from qualified engineers. to questions concerning things I don t master. And I did. :)

Merci :)

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The only thing I can think of is to post energy saving messages on your fascade. You may not directly gain from the messages, but maybe you can influence passerbys to recycle, etc.