High voltage converter not working properly

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by OrionV, Sep 1, 2016.

1. OrionV

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Hello. I am trying to build a 9v to as much as possible converter. 9v battery > 2n3055 inverter like this one http://circuitdiagram.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/basic-inverter-circuit-design.gif > 4 stage voltage multiplier and a 470 pF, 2 kV capacitor in parallel after the multiplier.

The capacitors on the multiplier are 3.9 nF, 100 V. The output of the transformer is around 80V and starts to drop slowly, I suppose that is normal. The problem is that the output of the voltage multiplier is only 20 volts! It charges up to a certain point, and after that initial discharge, which I can't measure because it's only for a fraction of a second, the voltage drops to 20V. I know that I am doing something very wrong, but I can't figure it out. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    What is the current draw on the 9 volt battery when the circuit is running and what voltage does it drop down to at that load?

9 volt batteries are terrible in applications that draw more than a few tens of milliamps.

3. OrionV

Jul 3, 2016
    Can't measure, the multimeter starts freaking out and displays random numbers.....

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Just measure the 9V battery's voltage during operation. It's probably sagging quite a bit. Or hook your circuit up to your car's battery.

5. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    I am guessing that your transformer does not have enough inductance at the frequency that you are pulsing it. The resulting high current draw will kill a 9-volt battery quickly. If you connect the circuit to a power supply or battery that can supply the high current something might fry.

6. OrionV

Jul 3, 2016
    Okay my bad, 130mA is the draw and the voltage drops to 1.7 volts, I wouldn't have thought of that. I thought the problem was the voltage multiplier. Would a wall charger provide constant voltage?

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You're heading towards a meltdown. Your experiment has revealed a flaw without destroying anything. You got lucky. Nature will not always be so kind.

My comment about the car battery was tongue-in-cheek. I should have been more explicit: Hooking it up to a solid power source will likely make it go poof life a fuse.

Be prepared to limit the current to a safe level before you supply more power.