High Voltage Connector

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Dear all hello,

I am experimenting with high voltage, AC and DC, through high voltage transformers, and HV generators up to 9kV AC and 20kV DC. For the connection of the HV wires I am currently using O ring terminals, and I do not see any problems. Forgot to say that the current is very low just a few milliamps (10 the most).

I was wondering, since in this case insulation is the main thing, and HV connectors are very expensive, to use simple banana plugs, but having them well insulated i.e. putting the metal part in polyethylene rod of diameter 1 cm, if I would have any problems?

Many thanks for your support

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That should work as long as the polyethylene thickness is adequate to insulate against 20kV and any gap to air is longer than the needle gap spark length of 20kV (about 2cm).

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Many thanks for the help. The idea is, if I use the lathe well, to make the insulation that way so it won't leave any gap. At least I will try.

The next thing is, if the metal of the banana plug should be of special alloy, i.e. gold plated, and why this would make a difference.

thanks again

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The next thing is, if the metal of the banana plug should be of special alloy, i.e. gold plated, and why this would make a difference.
No and it wouldn't
Gold plating is used to reduce the contact resistance of the plug in the socket but that's not a concern in your application.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Just for something to ponder on.

Automotive ignition systems run voltages well over 20 KV and could be a viable source of additional insulators and other components and modifiable whatnots for your work.

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
It would be a good idea as you mention, to get from the used parts shops a cable which connects the ignition system with the spark plug.
Simple, helpfull, but never thought it. That's why I like very much AAC. Thoughts of one person are not enough to solve a problem.

thank you very much all of you for your contribution