High Voltage AC Measurement

Curn

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Hi
I'm a PHD student currently working in micro plasma generation, but unfortunately I don't have much of a back ground in electronics. I recently got a High Voltage AC PSU, Independent voltage control from zero to maximum output of 20kv pk-pk and frequency control from 20 kHz to 70 kHz.

The PSU works for me and can get a nice Helium plasma but my problem arrives in that i dont know what voltage the PSU is out putting. I have a Tektronix TDS 2014B oscilloscope with a 100x 4kV probe which works well up to 4kV but past that point I have no way to tell the voltage I also have some Bench DMM that can go up to 1kv but every HV probe that I have in the lab that goes above 4kV is for DC only.

Now i have found some scope probes that would do the job for me but unfortunately they are all £1000+. I was just wondering is there any way I could use a voltage divider or something so that I could use the Scope or DMM to tell me the voltage?

Regards,
Curn

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
The reason why they are expensive is because the voltages you are dealing with here are FATAL!!!

Very high levels of personal safety and quality equipment and TRAINING are required.

Don't even think of making something yourself!