High speed sine wave to square wave converter

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What diode did you use that is...so slow. I guess you're going to have a problem with reverse recovery time. So an Ultra fast recovery diode or a Schottky diode is about your only hope. I still don't think you can get there, but I'm a pessimist.

Edit: Nope Ultra Fast Recovery is not fast enough by at least two orders of magnitude
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/12359/stth3r02.pdf

Hers a Schottky at 1 ns. reverse recovery time. Still probably not good enough
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/vishay/85645.pdf

You're on your own and I challenge you or anybody else to come up with a workable part

Last edited:
I don't get it when a poster wants free advice and is unwilling to share info.
Hard to count the times posts have gone on forever just trying to figure out what an OP is trying to say. Overunity and HHO are the toughest nuts to crack as the OPs think that everyone will steal their idea (even though it'll never work)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On top of that they have this quaint notion that they can use ordinary parts at ridiculously high frequencies. One frequency is just as good as another to them.

Hi kubeek, Im going use this 1 GHz square wave as an input battery to my biasing circuit. So I have a device generating sine wave at 1 GHz, so I need to convert it to a square wave. I am not really sure about rise and fall time, cause Im not sure how it will help it to work like a battery.
I just can't figure out what it's supposed to do. And why a square wave?

Maybe it's the invention of the AC battery.

thavamaran

Joined Feb 21, 2008
Guys guys guys, chill out, im sorry, i was working in the lab. This square wave signal will work as a battery to the bias circuit to generate a non-uniform bias current as a supply current to semiconductor optical amplifier to reach its most optimized performance.

semiconductor optical amplifier is an optical device used for switching and amplifying and modulating as well.

I will get back to you guys once I finish testing my circuit. Sorry guys and thanks a lot for the ideas! Sorry again!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Guys guys guys, chill out, im sorry, i was working in the lab. This square wave signal will work as a battery to the bias circuit to generate a non-uniform bias current as a supply current to semiconductor optical amplifier to reach its most optimized performance.

semiconductor optical amplifier is an optical device used for switching and amplifying and modulating as well.

I will get back to you guys once I finish testing my circuit. Sorry guys and thanks a lot for the ideas! Sorry again!
Is your semiconductor optical amplifier a part that has a datasheet? If so, can you publish a link to it? If you have an app note or datasheet that talks about the bias you are contemplating, that would be helpful also.

thavamaran

Joined Feb 21, 2008
the semiconductor optical amplifier is a buffering device in a optical regenerator which is also known as SMZ switch. The regenerator was bought very long time ago by my uni, and the company that designed it was spinned off and its a obsolete product now, I myself still finding the datasheet for that.

The bias device is a self design circuit to meet the requirement of the SOA, which is done by a simple resistor and capacitor.

There is no bafflegab here, once we complete this project and I and my colleague will publish this work, there and then you will know exactly what we did, my contribution to this project is to design the battery circuit and minor contribution to this bias circuit and SOA.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I think you guys are being too hard on the OP, probably because you don't understand what he's doing.
I don't understand either, but I can see where a high frequency "bias" might induce some nonlinear effects that could be useful, or at least interesting.

I didn't say it wasn't interesting, just so secretive. Google the OPs name and it comes up with frequency to light emitters in other forums. Can't figure out why a square wave is needed.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Its not that complicated. You don't need a square wave, you need a detector. At 1.5 GHz, you can use a low capacitance Schottky diode followed by a capacitor. Try an 1N5711 and a 100 pf capacitor. If that doesn't get you enough voltage, you can try adding a tuned stub as a high resonant circuit to try and boost the voltage, but be aware that such a circuit will perform poorly if heavily loaded.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember Alcatel's work on the subject. Basically they were using a crystal (similar to a quartz) to digitally modulate a laser beam to 40Ghz. At this rate anything over 1Ghz is sinusoidal in shape, but still digital in nature. Look up ECL (Emitter Coupled Logic), the extreme examples of this logic reach the frequency range you are interested in.

Its not that complicated. You don't need a square wave, you need a detector. At 1.5 GHz, you can use a low capacitance Schottky diode followed by a capacitor. Try an 1N5711 and a 100 pf capacitor. If that doesn't get you enough voltage, you can try adding a tuned stub as a high resonant circuit to try and boost the voltage, but be aware that such a circuit will perform poorly if heavily loaded.
Ok so what is the OP building?