high speed clocking in of data FIFO question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by baringforge, Nov 30, 2010.

1. baringforge

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm mainly a software guy, with enough hardware prototyping experience to be dangerous :) I have an application I'm working on where I want to clock in serial data from a device at 4 Mb/s. I tried adding a shift register in, but I still get 4,000,000 / 8 interrupts per second to my poor little Coldfire cpu.

I'd like to incorporate a deep fifo in the mix so I can go out and read in a bunch of data once in awhile via dma on my data bus or whatever. Something like a "Serial to parallel fifo", like the IDT72142 would be pure gold, but it's obsolete, probably because everyone uses FPGAs nowadays. Does anyone know of a good way to clock serial data into a fifo, then pull it out in parallel (8 or 16 bit)? I was thinking about doing an FPGA, but I'd like to just drop in an IC and get this done.

Thanks !

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  3. baringforge

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. It could be that I'm lost, but I'm not sure that using a 74hc594 buys me much more than I already have. I'm already using a shift register (74hc164). I'd like to be able to buffer up at least 4Kbit so I only have to pull out data at 1ms periods.

I've got a:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=800-1507-5-ND

This is a neat 2048X9 fifo, but I can't get from my shift register into that, so I was hoping to find a fairly deep fifo I can populate serially.

4. baringforge

Nov 30, 2010
    It's kinda weird. There doesn't appear to be any SIPOs available anywhere, by anyone. It seems like there would at least be a market for these things.

5. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    That's because the capability is inherent in most programmable devices, manipulated with simple software routines/switches.