High side discrete mosfet driver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MatheusLPS, Jan 10, 2014.

1. MatheusLPS

Thread Starter Member

Jul 16, 2011
  2. MatheusLPS

Thread Starter Member

Jul 16, 2011
    OK, reading page 24 on this: http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slup169/slup169.pdf

I see that negative signal is expected.

Another problem:

A am only getting a maximum of 7.7V on the output (10% of duty cicle = inverted to 90%). Is there a way the increase this?

bye

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You should be getting about 10V. Post the waveforms as you did for the 50% duty-cycle case.

P.S. Why are you using the large, slow TIP122 darlington for the driver transistor? Much better to use a faster small switch such as the 2N3904 as shown in Audio Guru's circuit.

Also the IRFP460 has a rather high ON resistance of 0.27Ω. A device with a lower ON resistance would be more efficient and give a higher output voltage for a given duty-cycle and load.

4. MatheusLPS

Thread Starter Member

Jul 16, 2011
    You are right. On the simulation, I am getting ~ 10V. The problem is with the circuit on the protoboard. Look:

[​IMG]

The problem is that I do not have so many transistor with me and since it is weekend, I can not buy anything now. :D

Searching my on my box, I found a BD135, some BC's... a lot of TIPs

EDITED:

Just found a 2N3904 laying on the last box of components..... wow... Changing the TIP122....

Same thing as said before. Most of my FETs are found on old power supplies....

I have others and will check for a lower RDs ON.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that on the simulation i am using a 220uH inductor. But on the protoboard, I am using a inductor took from a power supply. Do not know the value. Ferrite core.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    The inductor properties are critical in switch-mode circuits. The wrong inductance or core properties can lead to core saturation, which is a no-no.

6. MatheusLPS

Thread Starter Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info. This one is just a prototype. With the final circuit, I will buy the right inductor.

So. Changed the TIP122 with the 2N3904 and replaced the IRFP460 with the CEP51A3: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/176714/CET/CEP51A3.html

Improved. Getting now 9.3V at output. I using a potentiometer to change the duty cicle. Can change from 0V to 9.3V.

Now, I need to check the waveforms with a oscilloscope. But, only next week.

bye