High resolution measurement with oscilloscope

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a problematic issue which is about verification of an op-amp circuit output. In this circuit, The opamp output has a 0.7V dc offset and a 1.4V peak to peak AC component. So max-min values: 1.4-0V

the problem is that i am going to use that circuit to sample the grid voltage value so its accuracy is very important for me. To define the its accuracy i have to verify its output to input ratio (Gain).

As you know a big portion of oscilloscopes has a 8 bit resolution. So measuring an ac voltage with an 8 bit oscilloscope will not give me a right knowledge about is Gain and i can't use a high resolution multimeter to measure an AC signal.

Is there any simple way to measure the output with high accuracy by using an oscilloscope or another else?
Regards

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Let us review the facts.

You think that 8-bit resolution o-scope is not accurate enough.

You are not allowed to use high resolution multimeter.

What makes you think that you are allowed to use high resolution o-scope?

You could use ADC instead of the o-scope. There are 8, 10, 12, 14, 16-bit ADC. You will also need additional circuitry to record the data. And make sure ADC can take the input voltage and the input frequency.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is another solution. Take the AC voltage, rectify and smooth it. Then measure the DC voltage with an accurate DC voltmeter.

savage67

Joined Oct 3, 2006
Do you know any measurement device that has a high resolution and low bandwidth. Because High resolution and high bandwidth featured ones are very expensive.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi savage67,

You could use the cheaper scope in signal compare mode.

1. Test signal goes to CH1.
  2. UUT (opamp) output goes to CH2.
  3. Invert CH2 unless the opamp already inverts the signal.
  4. ADD CH1 & CH2
  5. Only the difference between the two signals will be display
  6. Adjust the CH1 gain, the test signal, to match the CH2 signal amplitude, or you could also set the gain to what is expected out of the opamp and the difference will be displayed.

What will be seen on the scope is the difference between the ideal test signal and the opamp output. Phase differences can be nulled out, but would require a way to delay the test signal slightly to match the opamp output phase.

The 8-bit scope resolution is now use to measure differences, which give overall better resolution to your measurement. You will need to calibrate your setup to ensure accuracy is maintained as well.

This may be more trouble than it's worth.

Regards,
Ifixit