High Quality Microphone

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by zorpholex, Feb 2, 2013.

1. zorpholex

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Hey, i am trying to make a high quality microphone for recording a singing group.

I know the basics of how to make one but i am looking for tips and circuit designs, or suggestions that would make it pick up more sound and be very clear sounding.

I would appreciate any tips! thanks :)

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Even buying a low cost standard "wand mic" will likely perform better than any DIY project.

Will each singer have their own mic? Will the mic be held by one of the singers, or from the audience? Is the singing amplified or not?

Lots of unknowns in your question.

3. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    The SM 58 has been around for a lot of years. I did see a site on the Net making high quality ribbon microphones years ago.....

or, you could use the SM58.;)

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The shure SM58 dynamic mic is a directional cardioid type.

It rolls off frequencies below 100Hz because a cardioid type boosts low frequencies when very close.

It boosts high mid-range frequencies which might be good but is probably bad.
    It was good in the olden days when high audio frequency reproduction was rare.

A modern inexpensive electret mic has an all-around omni pickup and has a frequency response that is absolutely flat. It sounds natural.