High Power Slip Ring

ratroo

Joined Mar 24, 2009
I need a slip ring assembly that can handle up to 1500 watts of power with a through-bore, I've looked and have not been able to find any that can handle that amount. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or alternatives (something that rotates on one side, stationary on the other and conducts through the assembly).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Perhaps use the slip rings & brushes from a GM 130A alternator? That's 1800W.
[eta]
Oops; those slip rings don't carry the total current; just the armature current. :rolleyes: Next idea...

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1500 watts - 240 volts and 6.25 amps, 12 volts and 125 amps. Brush cross section and slip ring area will vary considerably between those points.

What voltage are you handling - or current?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What is the full application? There may be an easier way to build it.

The voltage/current are needed, as current determines the size of the brush needed, and voltage dictates spacing.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I need a slip ring assembly that can handle up to 1500 watts of power with a through-bore, I've looked and have not been able to find any that can handle that amount. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or alternatives (something that rotates on one side, stationary on the other and conducts through the assembly).
You might check with some radar manufacturers or military surplus, these were often used to convey power to magnetrons in airborned radars.

Eric

amgad

Joined Mar 28, 2009
a bit of detail.
but you may use the idea of pilot exciter for the syn.machine,i hope this would help..

Moderator deleted email address - please conduct exchanges in the public forum.

Last edited by a moderator: