High Memory/CPU Useage For Host Processes For Windows Services

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I keep getting a message from Norton about "High Memory/CPU Useage For Host Processes For Windows Services". Task Manager says CPU useage is 100% and the fan runs at full speed for several minutes.

What is this about? Is there a way to correct or minmize this "problem"?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you know how to use Task Manager?

If so, you can identify processes which are using excessive amounts of CPU, memory, network...

Once you know what process is using the CPU, you can decide whether you need it or not. Often, it is malware and your system needs to be cleaned up.

Malwarebytes is a program that can be used to disinfect your machine. SuperAntiSpyware is another.

Or perhaps simply not running as many programs in the background will help. Professionally, I have had clients complain of a slow system ask if streaming music could is it down.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Immediately after getting into Desk Top, I open Task Manager to look at CPU usage.

From a general search of "Host Processes For Windows Services", it looks like it can normally hog the CPU. Also, some videos on YouTube can also trigger high CPU.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Did you sort the list by CPU usage? Also, "host processes" is a generic title. You need to examine the actual command to determine what is running.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Here's the problem: If I find something on the list of processes that's causing high CPU and disk use and I click "End Process", then what might happen?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Your system might stop responding. That's why you need to do some research to find out what's actually running and prevent unwanted processes.

Or you could just stop them and see what happens.

Also, have you done a malware scan as recommended?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I run a Norton scan about every 6 hours and it indicates no problems detected.

However I don't know if Norton is effective at blocking or getting rid of everything including malware.

In 2014, there was a world wide infection of the Powelikes virus/Trojan and it got on my computer without Norton blocking it. However I was able to get a special service from Norton to successfully get rid of it.