High esr

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was always fascinated by people from a different era trying to use familiar words in unfamiliar circumstances. Calling a capacitor a, "condenser" kept me puzzled for years! What does it condense? Electricity? Can electricity be a liquid?

Now, I'm the person from a different era struggling with unfamiliar circumstances.
If a kid tells me he wants a Wii, I try to find him a privy.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I remember those days. Ran around with a little heat gun to see which cap in the vertical hold circuit was making it roll as it warmed up.
Capacitor life is really effected by temperature. The 3000 hour number is at specified temperature - usually 85 or 105C. For every 10C lower than that the life doubles, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds, but still a weak link.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Just get parts ordered and my spare tv quits.:(

This one had same value but different shape.150uf/450V

Must be common.

Oh well, this one has an open inv. trans. winding.

Keeping busy.
My sisters humidifier. (thermal fuse)
And led lights. (solder a wire)

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
As soon as my legs quit complaining about spending 3 hours walking through stores, I will install a motion detector and start cutting some wood into fence slats. I just can't go full speed all day at this age!

$12 for a 240 volt, 20 amp plug??? It doesn't even have wire attached to it!:mad: Keeping my eye out for a dead window air conditioner with a 240 volt cord on it.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I was always fascinated by people from a different era trying to use familiar words in unfamiliar circumstances. Calling a capacitor a, "condenser" kept me puzzled for years! What does it condense? Electricity? Can electricity be a liquid?
Ok I did some googling, since condensers are the proper name for capacitors in my language. Found in wiki article about capacitor this line:
Early capacitors were also known as condensers, a term that is still occasionally used today. The term was first used for this purpose by Alessandro Volta in 1782, with reference to the device's ability to store a higher density of electric charge than a normal isolated conductor[9]
And also, there still are condenser microphones, not capacitor microphones.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
As soon as my legs quit complaining about spending 3 hours walking through stores, I will install a motion detector and start cutting some wood into fence slats. I just can't go full speed all day at this age!

$12 for a 240 volt, 20 amp plug??? It doesn't even have wire attached to it!:mad: Keeping my eye out for a dead window air conditioner with a 240 volt cord on it.
For the compressor?

Struck out on the combo control.

That reminds me.:D My air compressor in the garage is on 240.
When I switched it, I put in a 20 amp 240 a.c. outlet and ........................
Better not even say.:eek: Someone reading this might try it.
Anyhow it's been that way for ten years.

The outlet is also my disconnect.:p Looks like it's been spray painted black.

I do so much for (to) myself that I would never let slide....................:cool:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
For the compressor?
Yes. I tried a kitchen stove cord because I have a crows foot outlet hooked up, but the cord is too fat to go through the 1/2 inch hole in the high limit controller. I need about a 12 gauge wire on a 240V plug.

Lets see if this looks like a plug after I click on, "post".

_ _
o

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Yes. I tried a kitchen stove cord because I have a crows foot outlet hooked up, but the cord is too fat to go through the 1/2 inch hole in the high limit controller. I need about a 12 gauge wire on a 240V plug.

Lets see if this looks like a plug after I click on, "post".

_ _
o
Yes, you see the similarity between that and 120 volt plug l°l.

Not that I would ever do that!:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I guarantee! If I ever hooked up a 120 V receptical to a 240 V breaker, it would only be a matter of time until I blew something up.

120V plug:

| |
o

Every time I have a lysdexic helper I have to tell him to install the outlets with the bond hole at the bottom :D

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
No, that's not it.
I would really never do that.:eek:
I use a 240V air conditioner outlet on mine.
No danger of plugging in the wrong thing.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Well this isn't going well!:(

It appears that the bad caps were not the problem with my oft repaired LG TV.

Main fuse is blowing.
Found and replaced a shorted stealth diode.
Still a short.

Couldn't find the problem, so I powered with limited current 3amps (<8 amp normal load), and found the hot spot.

On the plus side. It was a great way to find the component. Only took about 6 vac to hit 3amps.:)

04N60C3 shorted.
I wonder how special that is? I don't have one.:(

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
That didn't fix it either.:(

Not shorted now, but it overheats, from a TO-220 shorted diode downstream.

Will be ordering parts again. Don't have any fast enough. 33ns 20 amp

Also, and this my be a killer, a glass zener is broken.

Does anyone understand it's function? So that I can guess at the value.

Or info on ZD100 on the EAX36781601/9 PS board of a LG 47LB5D tv?

There is a .33 resistor from source to ground with the zener in parallel.
Cathode to source. Anode to ground

If I can't get a TV gurus attention, I'll start a help thread.:)
I'd buy a board if I could find one,