High Current Regulator Problem

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Measure your battery under a light load. If the voltage is below 10.75, you need to do an initial charge on the battery.

Visit the battery university website to learn more about the care and feeding of your battery.

gunvald

Joined Oct 16, 2013
If the voltage at the Peltier is less than the supply voltage then there's a voltage drop between the two.
What size and length wires are you using to connect it?
Note that the ammeter itself has some resistance.
I'm using about an inch of wire about the size of an average connecting wire used in breadboard.

I tried supplying it with a 12V @ 12A PSU.. i still get a 2A draw at 13.96V..

gunvald

Joined Oct 16, 2013
Measure your battery under a light load. If the voltage is below 10.75, you need to do an initial charge on the battery.

Visit the battery university website to learn more about the care and feeding of your battery.
I did charge it at for about 3 hours with 500ma current.. Is it considered dead when the voltage drop is 10.1V when the peltier is connected? I only used it for about 10 mins.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You have a 4 ampere hour battery. You should have charged it at 400 milliamperes constant cutrent for 10 hours Prior to testing it under the load.

At the battery university it recommeds a charging voltage of 2.25 volts to 2.30 volts per cell.

Speaking of loads, what is the load the requires this battery?

Last edited:

gunvald

Joined Oct 16, 2013
You have a 4 ampere hour battery. You should have charged it at 400 milliamperes constant cutrent for 10 hours Prior to testing it under the load.

At the battery university it recommeds a charging voltage of 2.25 volts to 2.30 volts per cell.

Speaking of loads, what is the load the requires this battery?
A 60W Peltier Tile (TEC-12706) sir.
I'll try recharging it again.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If the voltage drops rapidly when you connect the load, the battery is dead. I would suspect the voltage would drop from 12.6 to closer to 11 and then drop slowly as you deplete the battery. Remember, your not going to run that Peltier for more than 45 minutes, and if the battery is weaker, that time will be decreased.

If you want a longer use you'll need to have a battery capable of more than 48 watts/hr.

gunvald

Joined Oct 16, 2013
If the voltage drops rapidly when you connect the load, the battery is dead. I would suspect the voltage would drop from 12.6 to closer to 11 and then drop slowly as you deplete the battery. Remember, your not going to run that Peltier for more than 45 minutes, and if the battery is weaker, that time will be decreased.

If you want a longer use you'll need to have a battery capable of more than 48 watts/hr.
Thank you sir.. I will consider trying another battery.

gunvald

Joined Oct 16, 2013
Is that 13.96V at the Peltier terminals?
You are getting that voltage when the battery is loaded with the Peltier load?
That sounds like the open circuit voltage.
Yes, I got the voltage when the peltier is connected.. but most of the time, I get less than 12V (10~11V)..
I'm not familiar about the open circuit voltage.. what do i do about it? Thank you.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, I got the voltage when the peltier is connected.. but most of the time, I get less than 12V (10~11V)..
I'm not familiar about the open circuit voltage.. what do i do about it? Thank you.
OCV=Disconnect any loads from the battery. Use your Multimeter in DC Volts (20V or Auto-ranging) mode, put red lead on battery +, black lead on battery -, and read the voltage. If it reads less than 12.60V, the battery needs charging or needs replacing.

With the Peltier module disconnected from the battery, measure its resistance using your multimeter?

Describe in your words how you have been using the Ammeter mode of your multimeter to measure the Amps flowing from the battery to the Peltier?