High current optocoupler

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Far, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Far

Thread Starter Member

May 11, 2009
    I need an optocoupler which could tolerate a current at least 1A. how should I find it?
    thanks for your help:)

2. Tahmid

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi,
    You can use MOSFET driving opto-couplers such as TLP250, HCPL3120, TLP251, 6N136, etc.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Is the output AC or DC?
    What voltage should be switched?

Greetings,
    Bertus

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  4. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    there are lots to choose from. search digikey or newark for some examples. many are opto-fet ("ssr"). you should be able to find 1A in SMT.

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I imagine from your request about driving the LED emitter side of an optocoupler with so much current that you are trying to span a significant distance between the emitter and the detector. If I am correct in this interpretation then you may want to consider solving your intensity problem by using a cluster of LEDs driven by the same control signal. This would allow you to drive each LED at a more conventional drive current level. I still think you would benefit from pulsing the drive to the LEDs as recommended by bertus since that would allow you to detect your signal in the presence of a significant level of ambient light. Of course that will add some complexity to your receiver since it will need to be designed to detect a time-varying signal from the LED light source.

hgmjr

6. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    not too complex. a 555 setup as a missing pulse detector on receiver side can easily integrate.