HID electronics ballast output shorted to earth.

SurekhaIris

Joined Jan 18, 2013
Hello,
I am working on 250W HID electronic ballast design.It has the input which is connected to 230 V AC ,50Hz mains supply and ballast output is connected to HID lamp.

Please find the attached.

I have one below issue.

While fitting this ballast in streetlight fixture, the output of ballast(which goes to lamp) accidently gets touch to the streetlight fixture body and fixture body is

connected to the earth to provide the earthing or grounding. It means to say ballast output is directly gets shorted with the earth and ballast gets damaged.

I want to provide a electrical protection where in which if the ballast output gets shorted to the earth it hsould not damaged the ballast.

Please kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

IC-Man

Joined Jan 3, 2012
Can you not isolate the case of the ballast? It would be cheap. Another option maybe a quick fuse for the ballast or an isolating transformer.

:)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
There should be a 'socket' on the end of the wire where the bulb attaches. Also Are you working on this with the circuit live? There will be no power on the bulb wire if the power is turned off. NEVER work on a live mains voltage circuit.

SurekhaIris

Joined Jan 18, 2013
its purely power electronics product, yes, m working on this ckt.

It is damaging my ckt components, i hv to protect my ballast ckt with lamp.

Plz help

Hello,
I am working on 250W HID electronic ballast design.It has the input which is connected to 230 V AC ,50Hz mains supply and ballast output is connected to HID lamp.

Please find the attached.

I have one below issue.

While fitting this ballast in streetlight fixture, the output of ballast(which goes to lamp) accidently gets touch to the streetlight fixture body and fixture body is

connected to the earth to provide the earthing or grounding. It means to say ballast output is directly gets shorted with the earth and ballast gets damaged.

I want to provide a electrical protection where in which if the ballast output gets shorted to the earth it hsould not damaged the ballast.

Please kindly help.

Thanks in advance.
HID ballast.. Strange project. Were you able to complete it. Even I would love to do it and check out the blasted output. Hope you reply:):)