Hi there and another timer circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ferret141, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ferret141

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi there, I go by the name of Ferret. I'm 18 and live in the UK.

Since I'm into making things myself rather than buying them I thought I'd become a bit more involved with electronics. I currently help out a local motor club with their rally car as a mechanic. They're in need of a timer to keep the fan and water pump running when the car comes back from a stage and the engine is off. So that's my intended project.

I would place myself as a beginner but I can learn quickly and understand pretty much any theory you throw at me. So I'm here to request the help of you kind fellows. Can you recommend any reading material/guides to get me started.

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    The industrial term for that is a "delay-on-break" or delay-off timer/relay.

But, on most cars the water pump is driven by a belt connected to the motor. Unless you could somehow install a parallel, electric, auxiliary water pump you would need to keep the motor idling. I have seen threads about delay-off motor shut-down timers to allow turbo chargers to cool down.

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Google 555 monostable.
  4. Lanz

Oct 30, 2008
    As Ken said,the water pump is driven by the belt from engine pulley.But now at the market got electric water pump which driven by a motor.You can control the pump if driven by a motor.And as mik3 said,555 can do the timer job.
  5. ferret141

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    I have spotted the 555 Monostable Mutlivibrator, currently reading up the theory behind it because I would rather understand and be able to build from scratch if I wanted to rather than copy someone else's idea.

I do realise the water pump is belt driven. I hadn't concerned myself with it till I built a working circuit that kept the fan going at least.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll keep an update of my progress.