Hi, I'm looking for partners to learn conversational English ..

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
You are using a program to translate text right now?

But the fact that the English raped my brain from school.
A typical russian use of the word "rape", but not used in this context in english, yet perfectly universal ;)

Last edited:

Blackbird

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Baikal is far away from Novosibirsk, but Sparky was asking about a large lake to the east of you.
Hm.. I generally do not like any water treatment in the countryside. In the city we do not have large lakes that only the Ob River flows bring together the city. And in so far as I can remember is the largest lake Chany and another in Karachi where the local bottled mineral water, mud, and there is still healing. At this my knowledge of the lakes, and probably over.
Yes, English can be a brain rapist.
At first, I just killed the English rules of spelling. It was a nightmare - in Russian, almost 99% of the words as speaking and writing. That is the letter sound correspondences are unambiguous. I suffered for a long time - the rules of procedure simply me, I have them and can not remember. And pronounce on the model of other words that are remembered ..
But in the Russian construction and the irrationality of phrases often just put the English-speaking into a dead end. And it is difficult to even explain what this phrase means to formally ..

Blackbird

Joined Jul 25, 2012
you are using a program to translate text right now? ]
Ну конечно я перевожу фразы через гугль переводчик - и как ни странно я имел ввиду слово изнасилование и меня даже поняли . Хотя по моему в предыдущем посте гугль чуток накосячил про лечебную грязь :)

Blackbird

Joined Jul 25, 2012
You are kool dude, If you are living In the sixties ,you are lost.
No I have not gone - just at the time when my childhood took place in 1980 I got an old tape recorder and a bunch of old tapes - so apparently I moved straight from their childhood in the 1960s and I liked it :) Since I started collecting all this more focused ..
I remember I had a tape recorder - "Kometa mg-201" in a state strongly killed

From the old tube tape, I would like to buy American wollensak but the price along with the shipment is simply impossible :) So it has been postponed until better times ..

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ну конечно я перевожу фразы через гугль переводчик - и как ни странно я имел ввиду слово изнасилование и меня даже поняли . Хотя по моему в предыдущем посте гугль чуток накосячил про лечебную грязь :)
Я могу использовать Интернет, а также переводчик. Но это не помогает мне выучить русский язык на всех. Может быть, вы должны стараться общаться без помощи переводчика, даже если вам придется вернуться назад и использовать русско-английский словарь для каждого отдельного слова. Потом, перед отправкой сообщения, если ваш перевод близок к тому, что интернет переводчик говорит.

By the way, "rape" in English almost exclusively refers to forced intercourse without permission.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Конечно вас поймут. Просто необычное выражение. Вы бы сами писали, поймут и поправят.

To translate for our english speaking friends: Of course I am using Google translate, and as strange as it sounds, I meant the word rape and was understood correctly. But it looks like google messed up a bit about healing mud in the post above. (add: I think it did too)

Of course you will be understood. It is just an unusual expression. You should write yourself, you will be understood and corrected.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Я могу использовать Интернет, а также переводчик. Но это не помогает мне выучить русский язык на всех. Может быть, вы должны стараться общаться без помощи переводчика, даже если вам придется вернуться назад и использовать русско-английский словарь для каждого отдельного слова. Потом, перед отправкой сообщения, если ваш перевод близок к тому, что интернет переводчик говорит.

By the way, "rape" in English almost exclusively refers to forced intercourse without permission.
This is where it is difficult to learn new languages. In russia, we often use the word "насиловать = to suppress" to describe things that are unpleasant to us. The word to rape is "изнасиловать". It gets more complicated and the difference is blurred, but they are somewhat different in their use. Which is why google translate fails....

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Which is why google translate fails....
I don't know how google translate works; I.E, I don't know if there's one google employee or a team who adds words to a database, or if it's a community contributed database, but I've used it to translate lots of languages and it seems much better for some languages than for others. For example, I have a lot of Norwegian friends on facebook, and I use it to translate posts where they use their language. The translation is impeccable, every time. It seems whoever or whatever is in charge of QA for Norwegian is very on top of their game. The same cannot be said of Tagalog though. Google translate absolutely sucks at Tagalog. This isn't helped by the fact that most of the Filipinos who's words I try to translate are using txtlolz omg abbrvashunz in something other than English.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
well, I imagine that it will work better for languages that have rigid sentence structure and words that can be interpreted one way only ?! How accurately will it peak up the context for those words? Did I mean "lung" or did I mean "easy"... it will depend on how much information was provided in the sentence and may have to be simply a guess.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
well, I imagine that it will work better for languages that have rigid sentence structure and words that can be interpreted one way only ?! How accurately will it peak up the context for those words? Did I mean "lung" or did I mean "easy"... it will depend on how much information was provided in the sentence and may have to be simply a guess.
yeah you've got a point there. I don't know much about languages, but maybe Norwegian is one that has all or mostly one-meaning words. I know Tagalog is an absolute nightmare about multiple meaning words. example.

Nerdyguys? care to comment?

Blackbird

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Well it seems we strongly deviated from the topic :) Oddly, I had thought that such situations are unique to Russian forums - but I was wrong. :D
The American Forum. Ask a question, then you are responsible.
The Israeli Forum. Ask a question, then you ask the question.
Russian forum. Ask a question, then you tell us a long time,
What you're an asshole.
:D:D
Still waiting for brave souls who can heroically overcome my bad English :)