Hi and I need some help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adam_c, Feb 23, 2010.

1. adam_c

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and circuit building. My first project is to modify my tablet pc to have internal usb ports. I ran into a bit of a problem in that I can't find a replacement usb jack for the stock one that I accidentally broke. I found one that is very similar, it's a kycon stacked usb low profile part# KUSBLX-AS2N-B30. The kicker is the jack's connectors are upside down relative to this part. I can't find anything like it. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks, adam

2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    It is dangerous to the pc to open these suckers, everything is so tight, so custom. I would start on something easier. It will not be a good deal if the computer stops running.

3. adam_c

Feb 23, 2010
    Yeah most stuff inside I steer away from. This way just a simple mod so I don't feel too overwhelmed by it. Everything is up and running and the internal ports work just fine, I just need to find this usb jack to finish. It's weird I've never had this much trouble finding such a simple and common component.

4. Robert.Adams

Feb 16, 2010
  5. adam_c

Feb 23, 2010
    Yes and it's got to be the exact design down to the spade mounting posts and low profile design but the direction of the usb hookup is upside down. with the dipicted kycon parts the usb cable hooks up "right side up" relative to the top of the board, however for the tablet I'm working on the usb cable hooks up "upside down" because the board is "upside down" in the tablet. Confused yet? I drew a couple pictures to hopefully help.

The kycon jack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weird stock jack.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

6. adam_c

Feb 23, 2010
    Good and bad news. Good news: It's actually a tyco connector part# 1775698-1. Bad news: where the heck do I get one?

7. Robert.Adams

Feb 16, 2010
  8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Tyco Electronics' website says that none of their distributors report stock on that part.
    http://www.tycoelectronics.com/commerce/sck/cdi.do

You're going to have to find a substitute somewhere - if you order a non-stocked part like that from a distributor, there will be a minimum buy. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new tablet PC.

9. adam_c

Feb 23, 2010
    yeah it will most definitely be cheaper to buy a new tablet than a few thousand usb jacks. I guess I'll just have to figure something out. Never been afraid to fabricate things.