HHO and Cold Fusion

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Wendy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I was just reading an article where they claim cold fusion has been duplicated, and it releases 2H2 and O2 in quantity. You suppose those HHO guys had a point?

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    The more I think about it, the more I realize there may actually have been something to it. I'm wading through Howard, Fine, & Howard right now - they make a compelling argument. I'll read Besser and Derita later today.

3. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Was this discovery made on April 1 , by any chance? ;)

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The cold fusion report from the naval researcher (Mosier-Boss) was not that. Here is a news report on it: http://www.physorg.com/news157046734.html

She had indirect evidence of neutron production in a reaction with deuterium. There is a long ways to go before saying cold fusion of Pons has been repeated.

Cold fusion, so far as I know, does not violate any accepted laws of physics.

The mysticism, even the chemical representation surrounding HHO is bunk.

John

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I saw that too.

It's about the Fleischmann-Pons Cold Fusion from the 80's, that nobody could duplicate (part of the plot of the movie "The Saint").

Apparently it DID work, although it didn't produce measureable amounts. The Navy research department constructed a better sensor, and repeated their experiment. Evidence of fusion was found in the new sensor.

HHO has been around forever. It's only gotten a boost since the gas prices went up. The low voltage/high currents involved point back to the origins of the early 1900s and faraday disc generators. If the pulses did "shock" the water molecules apart, I would imagine a higher voltage would be more effective from what I know of chemisty. Instead, essentially sloppy electrolysis is occuring. Remember the guy who stopped by and did the math, and even without friction and electrical losses, he calculated a net loss of 1/4 HP with an ideal 2l/minute HHO generator.

The people pushing HHO were often sued into neverland for being con artists, and died broke and obscure for that reason, not because of a coverup. The "Big Use" before dumping it into cars was marketing it as welding gas. They would sell $10,000 "Water based welders" that only had to be plugged into the wall for free welding gas. It didn't burn as well as acetelyene, and when the buyers received their electric bill in addition to the poor results, got a bit angry. Some salesmen had an acetelyne tank in the "Demo Unit" to sell it.

What comes around goes around, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008

Apparently, there is some tantalizing evidence. I think it is a bit premature to say it DID work and look forward to reading about the now passed symposium on the subject.

Does anyone have links to newer information on the subject?

John

7. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I'm at work now, but later today I will be able to share my link for Howard, Fine, and Howard. Their work is more recent than Besser and Derita.

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    All that weight of water,need a mule?

9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
  10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Those links are all seem to be basically the same wire story. Except, the science writer at Fox News who wrote:

loses some credibility with me.

A few of us probably remember the first reports of cold fusion from Utah. They were quite believable and several experts suggested it was possible. The story was all over the newspapers.

This will make interesting reading for the next few months at least.

John

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    It was the first news hit on search, I should have known better than to include a mainstream news organization's explanation of a physics topic, but it contains a bunch of useful links, so I added it.

12. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Oh yeah! :D

Dave

13. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  14. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Thanks. :D