HF generator on TIG welder?

Classictrial

Joined Aug 23, 2010
I have an inverter TIG welding set, and the frequency control doesnt seem to be working, and HF occasionally also fails. I realise these issues may be related to board problems, but wonder if there is any possibility of the HF generator itself being faulty, and would this effect the frequency control in any way?

Have already spend quite a bit of money on trying to get this machine repaired, and the problems with it are exactly the same, so I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice, as I dont really want to get rid as it welds very well indeed, and just needs HF fixing.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You will get more help here if you can post a schematic for the welder or a link for the welder. Good detailed photos of the boards will help too.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
short circuit/arcing is the most frequent fault on many of these devices. I'd go through and look for indication of arcing and address those findings.

Classictrial

Joined Aug 23, 2010
There is 240v supply to the HF generator when there should be, and its been very carefully checked for HF leakage. This seems to suggest the power control board is working properly, and barring HF leakage appears to mean the HF generator is faulty?

The machine is a Fronious Magicwave 2002 AC/DC 240V TIG inverter, and other than the occasional HF fault it still works perfectly. I wonder if there any way I can check for HF output from the generator, to determine 100% if this is the problem?

peeterminy

Joined Jul 19, 2012
The system selected should be very accurate and should verify each and every reading including frequency. I too use this kind of generator which supports all the constitutionalities with out any leakage problems. I thought that was a better system to work with. I bought it six months before from kwiqrlink, which is providing the best services compared to my older generator.
<snip>http://www.kwiqrlink.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Couldn't find a manual for the Magicwave ,but did find one for the Transtig, which is similar - http://www.ebookscenter.co.uk/downl...wUGksMjUwUGksMzAwUGklMjAlMjBpc3N1ZSUyMDMuUERG

Page 12-8 gives the high frequency trouble shooting. Was going to say this in first post but didn't know what machine you had. Always check the "high frequency spark-gap" first. Too large a gap or even a piece of dirt in the gap will disable the high frequency. Don't know if all of the machines have them now ,but most do.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Inverter TIG sets dont have spark gaps..........these are only to be found on old style transformer sets.
I beg to differ with you on this. The link I provided, though the machine is re-branded as a "CIG" is the same as a Fronious. And it is an inverter Tig/stick machine and it has a spark gap.

Classictrial

Joined Aug 23, 2010
Interesting that Cigweld welding set uses old style HF ignition parts, as there is no need whatever for these on inverter machines as the HF is switched off after an arc is established, and doesnt run continuously as it would on a transformer set when AC welding.