Hex Inverter for LEDs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by DanRilley, Dec 21, 2009.

1. DanRilley

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Hi, I am using an Arduino pin to light an LED, very basic. I have a few spaces on a 74HC14 chip open and am wondering if it's best to power the LED by buffering it through the Hex Inverter, or just straight out of the microcontroller?

The reason I ask is that I recently saw a schematic that had an LED powered through two NOT gates of a Hex Inverter and I was wondering if its better for power consumption or something. But maybe it's totally unnecessary, I know I can just set the microcontroller pin to LOW and then connect an led and a resistor to +V and it will work.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It's always a good idea to refer to a datasheet.
    Here's a 74HC14 datasheet: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd74hc14.pdf
    Note that TI's spec for absolute maximum spec is +/-25mA per pin, +/-50mA to Vcc/GND. It is best to stay well below absolute maximums.

You will need to consult your Arduino datasheet to determine it's limits per I/O pin and total package limits.

3. DanRilley

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I think the current is fine, the LED only takes 20ma I think. My question is, is there any big difference between going straight out of the Arduino (40ma/pin FYI) to an LED, or to go from the arduino, through the 74HC14 to the LED, is there any advantage to the latter?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Ask yourself which component would you rather have to replace? ;)

As an aside, it's a good idea to use current limiting resistors on your uC I/O pins, just in case a component the uC is connected to fails by shorting to one of the rails. This helps to prevent a "domino effect" of one component failing causing multiple failures.

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    It is always a good idea to use buffers as protective measures. I do not know much about your board. But I guess it use SMD components. Sometimes not so easy to change for the hobbyist. So if you use external buffers you can replace they will be fried not your board.