HEX file

doxology

Joined Oct 2, 2008
Hi guys,

Can anyone of you convert a HEX file to ASM to burn it by MPLAB software as I tried my best to convert it with no success unfortunately.

Please I need an explained method

Regards

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Disassemblers are available. But why do you want to do that? Are you trying to change the chip or something like that? John

beck

Joined Nov 27, 2006
as far as i know, its the hex file that you burn into the uc and not the asm file. correct me if i am wrong. you can also manually convert the hex file into asm using the instruction set of the particular uc.

doxology

Joined Oct 2, 2008
Dearest jpanhalt and beck, Actually I wanna burn it by MPLAB on a PIC16f628 but I couldn't thats why i asked you for a method to convert it to ASM as its easy for me, in addition i hope to see it in ASM format BUT if you wanna try, here the file you can download it and don't forget that i'll wait your feedback. Cheers guys

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
As was pointed out, if the hex file was written for an 16F628 and you are burning a 628 (not 628A), I believe you can load the hex file and burn directly.

If not, search for the appropriate disassembler. There are several.
John

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Which programmer are you using?

MPLAB software does not directly burn software into your chip, rather it interfaces to a limited range of programmers and directs them to load the hex file and burn it into the chip.

Most programmers allow you to load the hex file and burn it into the PIC without running MPLAB.

If you really do need to disassemble your hex code so that you can modify it or change the target device, then a google for "PIC disassembler" should bring up plenty of hits for both free and paid-for software.

You can import the hex file into MPLAB (file>import) and then view it (view>program memory) but I don't know if you can edit it, at least from a quick look I had I couldn't see how you would make changes to the file so probably purpose written disassembler software is your best bet.

boff1

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi there,
You do not need to use MPLAB to burn the hex file to your chip. Download and install the programmer software from:

http://www.ic-prog.com/

You will need a simple ( ie very low cost with few components ) programmer such as the JDM serial programmer to burn the chip.

If you need more help let me know.