Here is why I wouldn't be going to Sochi Olympics

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
At least in the Ozarks they give you some TP..Didn't see any in the first pics :eek:
Olympic organizers should get to the front of the toilet paper line by the time the torch is lit and immediately bring their full allocation of six rolls to the Olympic village.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Same design found in a brand new Chinese vesel (China built) two years ago. Posted a picture of it that vanished from the post.

Also in a US Navy vessel that visited this part of the world years ago (maybe more than 25).

Also in a movie about US Army trainees (name escapes from memory).

Intelectual property breach?

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
atferrari,

Perhaps you can confirm this story. An ex-coworker of mine was in the Navy, stationed on board an old WWII vessal (This was probably about 50 years agao I guess).

It was his first day at sea and he needed to use the head. There was a long line. He noticed that there were a bunch of guys all sitting on basically a board side by side. The board was over sort of a trough.

He noticed the end seats were unoccupied. Figuring it was really stupid to wait, he went for one of the end seats. Soon he realized why everyone was waiting. The ship rolled and all that stuff came rolling down to his end and then SPLASH! Instant enema!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The outhouse on my grandparents farm was high tech. There was a trench from the kitchen sink to the pit so that the loo got flushed every time we washed the dishes. :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
We shared a two-holer [ along with a " Monkey Ward" catalog ] with the neighbors back in 1930's Tularosa NM.
We would do Christmas in my grandparent's big farm house. 16 grand kids and one toilet indoors. The next option was the outhouse. Always nice to find the softer newsprint index pages still available in the Sears catalog.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The outhouse on my grandparents farm was high tech. There was a trench from the kitchen sink to the pit so that the loo got flushed every time we washed the dishes. :D
I remember graffiti in my dorm that claimed the opposite flow there - "flush twice, it's a long way to the cafeteria".

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
atferrari,

Perhaps you can confirm this story. An ex-coworker of mine was in the Navy, stationed on board an old WWII vessal (This was probably about 50 years agao I guess).

It was his first day at sea and he needed to use the head. There was a long line. He noticed that there were a bunch of guys all sitting on basically a board side by side. The board was over sort of a trough.

He noticed the end seats were unoccupied. Figuring it was really stupid to wait, he went for one of the end seats. Soon he realized why everyone was waiting. The ship rolled and all that stuff came rolling down to his end and then SPLASH! Instant enema!
I know an arguable reference of how it was done in the galleons' times: your business was solved literally overboard, in the stern area where it seems they had some plants conforming kind of a "garden".

Believe it or not, when I was at the Naval Academy as a cadet, toilettes where named as "gardens" (jardines). Go figure.

I do not tend to buy legends and traditions easily, anyway... Creative people exists from ancient times.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I know an arguable reference of how it was done in the galleons' times: your business was solved literally overboard, in the stern area where it seems they had some plants conforming kind of a "garden".

Believe it or not, when I was at the Naval Academy as a cadet, toilettes where named as "gardens" (jardines). Go figure.

I do not tend to buy legends and traditions easily, anyway... Creative people exists from ancient times.
Wasn't the captain's cabin in the stern? Bet he didn't stick his head out the porthole much. :D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Any one ever heard the naval word "head"? The loo was in the bow (head) of the ship.
from Wikipedia - "In sailing ships the toilet was placed in the bow for two reasons. First, since most vessels of the era could not sail directly into the wind, [1] the winds came mostly across the rear of the ship [2] placing the head essentially downwind. Secondly, if placed somewhat above the water line, vents or slots cut near the floor level would allow normal wave action to wash out the facility. Only the captain had his private toilet near his quarters at the stern of the ship in the quarter gallery."

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
When a vessel's forward draft is deeper than at the aft, we use to say that she is "by the head". The opposite is "by the stern".

More informal, you hear sometimes, "by the nose".
Sorry, thought we were talking about toilets, and where they were on full masted ,old timey ships.:) In the whaling days the toilet (for#2) was a hole in the deck at the very front of the bow.

Always thought that the toilet was called the "head"? It was at least by my old man, growing up.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I never take Wikipedia as the last word, but this seems to make sense.

"The head (or heads) is a ship's toilet. The name derives from sailing ships in which the toilet area for the regular sailors was placed at the head or bowhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_(ship) of the ship. In sailing ships the toilet was placed in the bow for two reasons. First, since most vessels of the era could not sail directly into the wind, the winds came mostly across the rear of the ship placing the head essentially downwind. Secondly, if placed somewhat above the water line, vents or slots cut near the floor level would allow normal wave action to wash out the facility. Only the captain had his private toilet near his quarters at the stern of the ship in the quarter gallery."