Helps about measuring the power of antennas?

thanhvu94

Joined Oct 1, 2016
Hello,

I'm doing a project about aquatic drone and we have 2 antennas on it. We want to measure the power of the two antennas and compare with each other to find out whose signal is stronger. Can you give me some ideas about this? (circuit, website, books...)

Thank you so much

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
If you have two antennas and you just want to know which one performs the best, i.e. provides the best range, there is an obvious way to test this, isn't there?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello,

I'm doing a project about aquatic drone and we have 2 antennas on it. We want to measure the power of the two antennas and compare with each other to find out whose signal is stronger. Can you give me some ideas about this? (circuit, website, books...)

Thank you so much
Antennas are passive devices. They have no way to create power, so your question is literally meaningless. What you might have meant was that, depending on their geometry, one antenna might have more gain than another one. That is it might radiate a signal more effectively than another one. Is that what you meant?

thanhvu94

Joined Oct 1, 2016

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for your reply, but we want to find a way/module/circuit that can measure and compare automatically (not manually). Do you still have any ideas? I'm new to this field.
The problem with automated measurement is that you have to create a grid of measurement points with an instrument at each point, or an instrument that can be moved to each measurement point. No matter how you slice it this will be an expensive proposition. The only other way you could approach this problem is to use EZNEC or similar software to simulate the antenna. This will give you theoretical radiation patterns and allow two antennas to be compared.

https://www.eznec.com/

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It might help if you give us a clear idea of what you want to make and what it does.

It is starting to sound like it might be a direction finder application, can not tell from the information given until now.

Are your antennas transmitting or are they receiving?