helping starting with ARM

wenn32

Joined Nov 9, 2010
Hello, i have been working with 8051 uC for few years and i am thinking of moving from 8 to 32 bit RISC so i would like to learn more about ARM but i don't know where to start.

i mean is it so much different from 8051 and are ARM's costly and how much will it cost me to buy a decent development board(with code dumper)?

Are there any technologies i should learn???

i saw some sample ASM code and i think even instruction are different when compared to 8051(and also x86) (may be i am wrong i don't know)

i specifically want to learn ARM because i think more and more industries are using it.If you think i am wrong please give me a heads up.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Have you picked which ARM processor you are interested in learning?

Are you proficient in C-language?

What is your estimated budget?

hgmjr

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
(1) Go pick up some books to read.

ARM system developer's guide : designing and optimizing system software / Andrew N. Sloss, Dominic Symes, Chris Wright ; with a contribution by John Rayfield.

The definitive guide to the ARM Cortex-M3 / Joseph Yiu.

(2) Buy a starter kits (http://www.keil.com/mcbstm32/).

The MCBSTM32M is based on Cortex-M3. It comes with Keil C Compiler (Eval version).

Talors

Joined Sep 24, 2011
You should buy a easily board to study ARM and maybe should take part in a ARM course.
The boards can be SBC2440 based on Samsung processor, it is useful for first study.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
The best value in any microcontroller development board today is the STMicroelectronics STM32VLDISCOVERY [product page]. IMO. For only around $10 you get an ARM Cortex-M3 with 128 KB flash and 8 KB RAM that is highly upward-compatible with hundreds of STM32 models from sub-$1.00 Value Line chips to more than 1 MB flash monsters with 96 KB internal SRAM and external memory interface and 144 pins...

This dev board is really slick because it comes with a built-in debugging interface (USB) you can put the Versaloon open-source programmer/debugger firmware on its USB debug-interface microcontroller to make it even more powerful (use it with open source tools like CodeSourcery Lite GNU gcc toolchain, gdb, OpenOCD).

I love the GNU gcc/g++ toolchain such as that available in the Sourcery CodeBench Lite (formerly called CodeSourcery Lite) distribution because it is standard-compliant, targets MANY architectures, is under active development, is FREE in every sense of the word, and even includes cutting-edge C++11 (i.e. C++0x) features.

Talors

Joined Sep 24, 2011
Why don't you buy a better board for you to study and development in the future? I would like to recommend you to use SBC2440-III, or you can visit their webs to find the better board for yourself. Good luck to you!;)http://www.*******.com

Last edited by a moderator: