HelpA Solar Cell Charger Problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ray Hwang, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ray Hwang

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Recently I've got a solar cell.Given the proper sunlight ,the open-circuit voltage is 6.3V and the short-circuit current is 70mA.
    Now I wanna get a output voltage 5.1V.
    Use only basic circuit elements,diodes\transistors\capacitors\inductors\ICs,etc.No MCU and FPGA.
    No MPPT(Maximum Power Point Tracking) required.
    Could everybody give me some ideas?
    A freshman from East China Normal University.
    Lots of thanks!

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Stick 17 Ohm 5-10 Watt resistor in series, this will drop 1.2 volts, 6.3-1.2=5.1 volts.

3. Ray Hwang

Mar 30, 2014
    The cell output is not constant,fluctuating between 0~6.3V .The target is that once the cell voltage is over a startup voltage,then the circuit works and stablizes the circuit output on 5.1V . The startup voltage should be as low as possible. I think the output end could be like this.

[​IMG]

But I don't know how to raise the low voltage to a higher one?
    Maybe I need a boost converter?
    And how to improve the efficiency?

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    That does not make sense. Solar cell is not a motor, it does not have startup. Sun is out, you get some voltage. No sun, no voltage.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    d1 is not needed, the solar cell is a diode already. you dont need the capacitor, and get a zenner to limit the voltage to what is safe for the battery.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    My first question is what are you intending to use the output voltage for?

What is the load?

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It is true that a blocking diode might be included in a larger panel, but it is rarely a part of a solar "cell".

If there's no current source to cause reverse current into the solar cell, then D1 has no function except to smooth out a transient shadow on the solar cell, to power the load for a few seconds after the cell is no longer illuminated.

8. Ray Hwang

Mar 30, 2014
    yeah sorry I forgot to mention that the load could be a Li ion or Li poly battery.I know it is not proper to connect the battery directly to the output,and an battery manage ic is required,but I think as the first step,to get a 5.1V could be more realistic

9. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Depending on the battery, probably could connect panel thru a shottky diode to battery. Internal resistance of panel will drop V. At max power out V will be about 5 V. Disconnect at batt. V of 4.2V. After short test get a proper control chip. Home built Li [ except for LiFePO3 ] chargers make me nervous.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Ray Hwang likes this.