Help

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Every time I log on the internet I get a box that will let me close it,but it never goes away.The computer security has I.D.-It as-(mcapho.dill).
Often I get a notice that there is a problem,and windows are shuting
down.They tell me not do anything and I can log back on the internet.
I dont know If something is going on while I'm online,I have not lost anything ,but I have to log back on any site that I was on.This box-
site-virus or what ever will not go away. The computer security just
posted the whole name above.I am not asking anyone to click on the
site.You may get stuck with it.I AM ASKING FOR HELP FROM SOMEONE
THAT UNDERSTANDS THESE TYPE OF COMPUTER PROBLEMS...
I get a pop up from the security,But it goes away and sometimes
a auto-log off.I think I got this by searching click after click,every thing
clicked off,but this box wont go away. What is (.dill )what country.
LOOSEWIRE
P.S. I may have to be walked through my computer to eliminate box.
Thanks Guys

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If you refer to mcapfbho.dll it is part of McAffee SpamKiller. You could try re-installing SpamKiller. If the dll is really named "mcapho" then you should perhaps delete it.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Deleting it is pretty simple assuming you know what directory it's in. Just select the file using the mouse (so that the filename is highlighted), and then press the Delete key.

That might not solve your problem, though. As thingmaker3 advised, you should reinstall McAphee SpamKiller (uninstall it first -- that should get rid of all the DLLs.

Here are the steps for uninstalling the McAphee application:
  1. Click Start (should be at lower left corner of your screen).
  2. On the Start menu, select Control Panel.
  3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  4. If there is an entry for McAphee SpamKiller, click Change/Remove.
  5. On the dialog box that opens, select Remove.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
mcapho.dll isn't a part of McAfee Spamkiller AFAIK, mcapfbho.dll is.

Loosewire, before you go through with the uninstall of McAfee Spmakiller, might I suggest that you confirm the name of the DLL that is causing problems?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Major Geeks.com has a forum and a set of procedures dedicated for these kind of problems. It's a lot like this site, all volunteer, a bit more commercial on the adverts, and some really good people that will help you.

I hope I'm not out of line here, it really is their baliwick.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If it is simply tracking down a troublesome application, I'm sure we can help, however if we get to the realms of needing to digest a HJT log then I do recommend you look at one of the dedicated sites.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Major Geeks also has a suite of applications they've developed over the years to clean computers out, several different procedures depending on the OS you're using. If this doesn't work, and many times the bugs are buried too deep, they'll help you do whatever needs to be done, including registry hacks. There are many good sites, but this one really is superior in the lengths they'll go. Their malware forum is restricted where only the original poster and a small number of vetted volunteers can reply within that specific thread, so you won't have well intentioned but clueless folks making the job 10 times as hard. The rest of the site (which also uses VB, the same forum software as this one) is pretty similar to here but computer oriented. They take malware very seriously there.

Their other claim to fame is squeaky clean downloads, you can download from a deep library that is well checked against malware. They are fanatical about being both legal and clean in their downloads.

As here, it is a flame free zone. You can ask questions that you might think are dumb and you won't be flamed or mocked.

Last edited:

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
From the 'Start' (lower left of your screen), there is a search function. Use it to find the DDL file. You have the option to open the folder it's in.

From there you can usually decide if it's something that belongs on your computer.

Sounds like something is updating some software on your computer. Some updates modify the registry, and require a reboot to take effect.

Should do a virus scan when weird stuff happens on your computer. The longer you wait. the worse it gets.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
From the 'Start' (lower left of your screen), there is a search function. Use it to find the DDL file. You have the option to open the folder it's in.

From there you can usually decide if it's something that belongs on your computer.

Sounds like something is updating some software on your computer. Some updates modify the registry, and require a reboot to take effect.

Should do a virus scan when weird stuff happens on your computer. The longer you wait. the worse it gets.
This is what I was going to suggest if we established that the DLL was not part of Spamkiller as suggested previously. At the minute loosewire needs to confirm the filename before any further advice can be given.

Dave