Help with Zener testing

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by wanders, Feb 23, 2012.

1. wanders

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm testing a suspect 25v zener diode out of circuit. My Protek 608 DMM has a dedicated zener function which claims to test zeners up to 20v. The test reads O/L in both directions. Am I safe in assuming that this is a bad part, or should I conduct additional tests?

Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That thing about "both directions" seems to indicate that the part is "open" (bad). It should look like a simple diode in the forward direction. Still, trying to run 10 milliamps through it and measuring the voltage across the part is another way to do this.

3. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    simple test is put your meter on diode test and check it again-dependant on which way round you connect your test leads you should have a reading one way round and oc reading the other ....you could also add a resistor in series with your zener and apply a voltage above the marked zener voltage to check if the zener works as it should

4. ifixit

Distinguished Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Hi wanders,

A zener should read like a diode in the forward direction and display the zener voltage in the reverse direction. Since yours reads like an open circuit in the forward direction then it is safe to assume the zener is blown open and is no longer zenering. :eek:

You should investigate why the zener failed, there may be other failed parts that need replacing, or perhapes the design is dissipating too much power in the zener.

Regards,
    Ifixit

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    he he he "no longer zenering" :) :)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    They do that, sometimes.

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    To test a 20V zener you will need a voltage source greater than 20V.
    I suggest you put 24V in series with a 220-ohm resistor (or any similar value) and connect to the zener. Read the voltage across the zener with a DC voltmeter.