Help with workbook from Electronics Learning Lab from Radio Shack

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by amzolt, Mar 28, 2012.

1. amzolt

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I recently purchased the Electronics Learning Lab from Radio Shack.

In the first Workbook, on page 19, it says to leave the "black box" circuit on the bread-board while doing the Switch, Resistor, and Capacitor circuits on "the following pages".

It appears that includes all the circuits from page 19 to page 41, since page 42 begins circuits with the transformer.

I need to clarify if that last sentence is true, since I really don't want to ruin a $70 lab by having too much on the bread-board.

Thanks...

2. amzolt

Mar 28, 2012
    I could also use help figuring out how to correlate the connections in the schematics and the connections on the bread board.

Is there some sort of "rule" for which columns and rows on the bread board are inter-related???

3. jwilk13

Jun 15, 2011
    First of all, keep in mind that I'm not entirely sure what the "black box" or the learning kit you're referring to are, so my recommendations may be slightly misguided.

For the first question, I'd leave the "black box" on there if it says to. I doubt it'll draw enough current to damage the breadboard (especially if they say to leave it on there). If you're worried, just disconnect the "black box" from power.

On a solderless breadboard, the "rows" are connected, columns are not (unless it's a power bus). It's easier to see it than try to explain it. Check this site out for some help.

4. SlowCoder

Mar 25, 2012
    I'm betting it's the same learning kit I recently bought for $70 a few months ago. I'd go ahead and leave it there. Just disconnect the wire that goes to ground and I think you'll be fine. You do end up using it later.

5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
  6. amzolt

Mar 28, 2012

That site looks cool....

7. amzolt

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks for that confirmation ;)

8. amzolt

Mar 28, 2012
  9. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    The 555 test circuit is used repeatedly through page 42.

I have a 555 and a couple of LEDs sitting in a corner on one of my breadboards set up to run as a slow (~2Hz) clock for digital circuit experimentation. It's been there for many years. :)

10. amzolt

Mar 28, 2012
    Cool, thanks for checking.

Also cool that you found that workbook in .pdf format ;)